1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Registry messed up by cleaner - can't use webcam

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by seaottertail, May 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seaottertail

seaottertail Thread Starter

Hi, well I feel like a fool because I think I'm coming here with a very basic elementary question of which I should know, but I don't, so here I am.

I recently bought a netbook with Windows XP sp3 installed. It's a great little machine, I love it. eMachines. It has a webcam installed in the computer and everything was up and running on it fine.

I use Glary Utilities - and I don't know what possessed me, but I ran the registry cleaner feature on it after I had done a load of stuff on the computer, just wanted to keep it clean. I just selected "clean all."

Glary keeps a backup. Well, in the process, the webcam got messed up and I can't use my webcam now. The error reads:

windows cannot start this hardware device because it's configure information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged (Code 19).

This is what I've done so far:

first, I went into Glary and restored the backup of my registry cleaner. There was only one backup and I only ran registry cleaner once on this machine. It said it restored it successfully.

I then restarted my computer and checked the device. The same code appeared. I repeated this step. Same result.

Then, I uninstalled the device driver and restarted the computer. I had already located the proper driver, and ran setup to install it. It said it installed it successfully. I restarted the computer.

On startup I checked the device again. The new driver was being shown as ok, but the same error - listed above - appeared.

I repeated these steps, for the heck of it, and got the same result.

So I can only deduct that the registry cleaner backup didn't properly restore settings for this device.
    And that the driver is not the issue - the registry is.

Does anyone happen to know what I would need to do to repair the registry correctly back to original Windows XP settings? I want to avoid reinstalling Windows if I can!

I haven't had this computer longer than 2 months, so it's still pretty clean. I'm probably just missing a simple file. If anyone might have an inkley as to what got wiped out and how to restore it, wow, I would appreciate the tip. Thanks!

2. seaottertail

UPDATE:

I found this information:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310123

At startup, I hit F8, and under windows advanced options, selected last known good configuration, hit return, selected windows xp, and hit return.

The problem still persists.

I tried to find the documentation upon which to manually edit the registry. I have a feeling I may need to do this. I tried to read the documentation (the link provided is dead, but I found it here):

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb742541.aspx

Frankly it's quite daunting for me, a little over my head. I'll keep reading it but if anyone happens to know how to manually edit the registry in this matter, that would help.

Glary has a startup manager function so I checked it and the PLFSetL.exe file associated with the camera driver is loading at startup.

Any suggestions?

3. seaottertail

Ok, nevermind!

I fixed the problem, ran system restore, don't know why I didn't think of that after 4 hours of beating my head against the wall, lol, but it's fixed now.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/921172

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice