Registry repair software

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

helpseeker

I had a very frustrating problem with ZoneAlarm. Trying to fix it, I got lots of 'help' instructions from Zonelabs, all of which tried to walk me through the removal of ZoneAlarm. But nothing would completely remove it, and I keep getting an error page, and can't access the internet. Their final plan is to edit the registry (they want me to delete a key in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINES), but they caution against doing so if one is not "comfortable" with tinkering with the registry, and I'm not.

Can someone direct me to a software (preferably downloadable freeware or shareware) that will 'fix' the registry by removing anything connected to the removed ZoneAlarm, and which are no longer needed, without messing it up?

There are a couple of approaches you can take to a situation such as you describe.

First... If you desire to do so, you can become "comfortable" with the registry by understanding one basic fact.

If you create a backup before changing anything, you can restore the registry to the state it was in before you did anything in the event something should go wrong with a single click.

It goes like this... Go to Start > Run type in regedit and OK. Create a backup of the Registry by going to File and selecting Export Registry. Name the file whatever you want and save it to the desktop (or wherever you prefer). This file will restore the Registry to the state it was in prior to any changes by simply double clicking it.

If this is still not what you are comfortable with, you can download a Registry cleaner and it should remove any entries that are no longer valid.

I've been using jv16 for some time with satisfaction for stuff like this. It's free Here.

Another utility gaining popularity is RegSeeker. It's also free Here.

Both of these utilities create backups for anything they delete, so if something goes wrong, you can restore it.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts