1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Registry Repair

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Feever42, Sep 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Feever42

Feever42 Thread Starter

Would anyone here recommend a registry repair for a novice Winxp user? That is to say would you recomend me buy such a product and if so which one

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The first question to ask is why you would ever need a registry repair program, particularly for a self described "beginner"

Windows XP has the "restore" function, which should be all that is required.

In 24 years of working in and with PC's which includes all versions of Windows, I have never felt the need for a registry repair program, they are just so dangerous in novice hands and should be unneccessary with XP.

3. Feever42

Feever42 Thread Starter

I guess thats one vote NO.If I knew how to post the results of the free scan from Registry Mechanic you might get an understanding of why I asked the the question, but I dont know how so I'm looking forward to more opinions.

4. Tumbleweed36

Tumbleweed36

Hi,

Know What? I would NEVER buy one of those unless they give you a 30 day free trial. The ones that scan and find a bunch of errors and then offer to fix them if you buy the program are usually spyware or bogus registry problems. If they permit you to scan and fix before you make a decision to buy, then it might be O.K., but I don't know the program you are looking at.

If you want a real good program for your registry that will clean it up, why not try System Mechanic for a free 30 day trial. If you don't like it after 30 days, take it off and no charge. It does many other things for your computer and is one of the most comprehensive that I have seen.

There are also many FREE programs out there that will do a nice job to clean up registry junk. I have used a few of them and they do work quite well. Do a search on goggle and you will find a bunch. I don't use them anymore, since I am pleased with the System Mechanic mentioned earlier.

5. ekih

ekih

I consider my self a beginner to intermediate with computers. I have found a program called Fix it Utilities 4 to work well for me. It is simple enough for me to get around but seems to work well. Plus it backs up what you do so you can undo.

6. Tranquility

Tranquility

I use a freeware called RegSeeker, in its 1.35 Beta version. It's in beta so extra care would be needed when using it, but I fixed like 500 problems when I first downloaded it and I haven't had any problems with it, and the interface is very user-friendly. It is an excellent program and got good reviews.

http://www.softpedia.com/public/cat/12/5/12-5-22.shtml

7. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Is there something wrong with the PC is the first question.

If you are only concerned that "issues" are raised by a program (which you need to buy to correct) then, treat such things with contempt.

If the PC is not malfunctioning, its likely that most "issues" are either expected or of no consequence.

Or, you could keep fixing the PC until its broken I guess.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

Please note that a registry cleaner and a registry repair program are 2 different things.

A registry cleaner tries to identify corrupted, misconfigured, or useless registry entries and remove them. Many free programs do a pretty good job and usually without too many errors.

A registry repair program sometimes includes the cleaner, but also tries to find corrections, particularly in paths, for orphaned entries that no longer point to the correct places.

Last night I ran 2 registry "repair" programs that are supposed to be among the best out there, Registry First Aid and Registry Medic. Before allowing it to make changes, I looked through some of the over 1000 errors that these things found and the "repairs" that they proposed to do. Less than 10% of the repairs were correct and the rest would have replaced the orphaned entry with one that pointed to the wrong place.

I uninstalled them. Don't try it unless you are able to verify every single repair that these things intend to do. Another "No".

9. Feever42

Feever42 Thread Starter

Thank all of you for adding to the thread it's all the kind of information I was looking for.

10. stueycaster

stueycaster

A friend of mine who is somewhat of a computer expert gave me a program called "TuneUp Utilities 2004" from www.tune-up.com . He said it improved the performance of his system. I tried it and it really helped mine a lot. One of it's features is a system registry cleaner. I've noticed no ill effects whatsoever.

Also I've been using Spybot S&D and Adaware for months now. Recently I tried BPS Spyware Remover from www.bulletproofsoft.com . It took out over 500 cookies and a few malware entries that the other ones were leaving in my system.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/271794

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice