1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Registry settings for 56k Dialup!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by greendilim, Feb 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greendilim

greendilim Thread Starter

Hi there,
    I just want to know if there is a registry program that can add or apply new or missing keys into the registry required for optimal performance for a dialup network? I feel like somethings corrupt in my registry because i have been fiddling with different settings and even removing key values from my registry using (regedit). Usually when i dialup to the net i connect around 45kbps, but recently i have been only connecting at 33kbps :S, and im not sure if its my ISP or from installing bad software.

BTW, i have a bad feeling that this system key in the registry: "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\MSTCP" on my system using dialup, seems to me its messed up, I need someone (you) to see what must be changed. My current settings:

AllowATM: (nothing)
    DefaultMSS: (nothing)
    DefaultcvWindow: 8192
    DefaultTTL: (nothing)
    PMTUAtuoDetection: 1
    PMTUBlackHoleEnabled: 0
    SackOpts: 1
    SessionKeepAlive: 600000

(And, is the folder winsock2 important? because i did a scan and deleted the folder in regedit manually.. >.<")

Im still interested in that registry software if there is any out there.. :p
    Thnx for your time.
    (Winxp, 256ram, 1.53ghz)

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Dropping from 45 to 33 may be due to where your dialing in with. It can be home wiring problems it can be a number of things. Usually I tell people to run this series of testas to narrow it down.

Also an FYI most "registry tweaks" won't gain you much if anything on a sdial up connection so its not really worth it.

1) Get 2 or more local dial up numbers, log onto each of the local dial up numbers.
    2) Write down all connection speeds.
    3) If you can try another computer in theh ome with the same process (if you don't own another ocmputer with a modem thats fine) and have them dial the same numbers write them down as well. (Also works if you have a friend who has a laptop that can bring it over).
    4) Lastly go to a friends that has a modem setup a DUN connection for the sake of testing and connect in to all 3 numbers there.

If you have 2 different phone numbers in your house also switch to the other phone number and give it a try each phone number has its own hard line out.

If both computers in the house come back slow but the friends comes back fast it could be home wiring or wiring to the local relay, If all 3 are slow it could be the dial station of the ISP, if its just 1 of the 3 then you have something going on with your TCP/IP or your DUN and I would probably remove it all and reinstall.

3. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

why don't you step up to broadband, join the 21st century?

you're using old dog technology figuring you can use registy tweaks to get more than it can deliver.

the fastest i've ever seen is 50kbps out of a 56k modem.
    phone lines play a big part and it could be your isp.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/331232

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice