1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

RegSeeker Help???

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by ness3371, Feb 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ness3371

ness3371 Thread Starter

I downloaded RegSeeker today...it found lots of stuff. Can I just delete it all? Will it get rid of all that ad/spyware?? Is there stuff that the RegSeeker finds that I should actually be keeping and not deleting? Thanks!!

2. JayT

JayT

Although Regseeker has a backup feature, which should protect you in case you delete something of major importance, in general unless you know what you are doing it probably is not a good idea to screw around with the registry.

If you want to get rid of spyware, you should download, install and update and run: AdAware, Spybot, and the MS antispyware beta.

3. slim30097

slim30097

The latest version of RegSeeker is a beta product (1.35). Is this the version you installed? It's also a good idea to state your OS & any other relevant info when posting.
    I have tested several registry cleaners & was never comfortable with RegSeeker. RegSupreme Pro (30 day free trial) is very good & has a strong background in this area. I have seen it highly recommended on several forums. Also, download ERUNT - a registry backup utility (freeware). Run this utility to backup your registry prior to cleaning. Also, throughly review the help sections for both programs - the ERUNT home page has detailed instructions for restoring the registry. If OS is XP, create a restore point as well. Backup all your files (you should be doing that anyway!).
    Run RegSupreme Pro, save the list of reg entries & close without cleaning. Then post again to this forum - just state your OS & number of reg entries generated. That info will at least determine the amount of clutter in the registry. Also, review the tutorial at Winguides.com for basic knowledge on registry structure, etc. Registry cleaning is very important - clearing out the "deadwood" will boost performance noticeably.

Re: spyware

In addition to JayT's recommendations, download SpywareBlaster (freeware).
    Update all four apps immediately & check frequently for additional updates (spyware programs update frequently). Also, change your browser if using IE. I prefer Mozilla Firefox, secure w/ many nice features. The browser switch alone will significantly reduce spyware infections.

Slim

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/328914

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice