1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll" helped, but removed "video" info

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by RASKAL, Oct 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RASKAL

RASKAL Thread Starter

whenever i clicked on a large video file in explorer (running xp sp2 on inspiron 6000), explorer would crash. i found a tip online to run "regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll" and that fixed the problem completely.

however, this fix created a new problem - - now all the info that used to be under "Audio" or "video" is gone! any fix? "date modified" is still there, but i like to sort my video folders by artist, and now it does me no good.

by the way, when i now click on an avi's properties, summary tab, and go to advanced, all the needed info is missing from there too.

from doing a search, i see that the way to undo the original fix is to run "regsvr32 shmedia.dll", but then i think i will have errors with large avi's.

so, any other fix?

2. RASKAL

RASKAL Thread Starter

no one can help me? Pl;ease.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757428

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice