Rehide Internet shortcut's & IE Favorite's extensions?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

MiVetters

Windows 2000 Pro no longer hides the extensions for all internet shortcuts and IE's favorites. This occurred after installing Opera and setting it as the default browser. Apparently unhiding these extensions causes the shortcut to not display in the favorites listed on the start menu even though they still exist in the favorites folder. I can access the favorites from within IE but the url extension is unhidden and I must open IE before using my favorites.
I have uninstalled opera, gone to "IE>tools>options>programs>reset web settings>yes" as suggested in Opera knowledgebase index#398 and reset IE as default to no avail. There is apparently no way to ask Opera techs a question.
A google search turned up nothing more. I could find nothing on MS knowledgebase either. I hope someone might know of a registry change which will restore the default favorites behavior by hiding the extensions.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online