1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reimaging a notebook

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cagehead, Jan 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cagehead

cagehead Thread Starter

I have a notebook computer, HP Omnibook Xe3, that I would like to reimage, but don't really remember all of the steps to do so. I have a good number of CD's, and don't know which ones I need first.
    Any help is good help. The computer could really use it...
    :confused:

2. Yankee Rose

Yankee Rose

Hi cagehead - welcome to TSG! :)

By "reimaging", I assume you mean you want to format/reload your operating system?

If so - give us your specs on your notebook. Importantly - does it have a CD ROM? What Operating System do you want to install? Do you have all the drivers for your hardware available?

Let us know and we'll walk you through the steps!

3. cagehead

cagehead Thread Starter

That's exactly what I meant!
    I don't really have the specs on my notebook, it was a gift. What do you need to know?
    I have a disk for Windows 98, so I've got that to install.
    Anything else?:confused:

4. Yankee Rose

Yankee Rose

Hi cagehead:

Does your Omnibook have any letters following the "Xe3"? It might say "Xe3-gc" or something similar. I'd like to provide you a link for specific drivers for your notebook.

I need to clarify what you mean by "disk" for Windows 98. Do you mean "CD" (the round plastic CD)? You absolutley need that in order to reload your Operating System (Windows 98). Also make sure that you have the product key code with the Windows 98 CD, as you will need that to reload. (It is a series of numbers like XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX.)

You will need to create a Startup Disk on a 3 1/2" floppy. In Windows 98, go to My Computer/Control Panel/Add and Remove Programs. Click the Startup Disk tab, then hit "Create Startup Disk". You will be prompted to insert a 3 1/2" disk into the floppy drive. When complete, be sure to label the disk.

Before we go any further, let me know if you have the CD, product key, if there are any numbers following your Xe3, and if you were successful at creating a Startup disk.

Good luck! :)

5. cagehead

cagehead Thread Starter

There are no numbers or letters following the Xe3 on either the top display where the keyboard is, or on the bottom of the computer where the serial number is.

Yes, I have the CD of Windows 98 and the product key.

I just made a startup disk and it looks successful.

6. Yankee Rose

Yankee Rose

Hi cagehead - sorry for the delay in response. The TSG server seemed to be down most of this morning.

Your laptop has a CDROM I assume (if not then it will be extremely difficult to format/reload the operating system!)

Here we go . . .

Place the startup disk that you created into the laptop's floppy drive and boot the computer. The system will boot from this floppy (you will hear it) and you will be prompted with several options from the Startup Menu. Be sure to choose "Start with CDROM support". That way you will be able to access your CDROM later on.

The startup will eventually bring you to an A:>.

NOTE: I am assuming that you only have one partition on your hard drive. (If you know for certain that your laptop has two partitions, labeled as hard drives "C" and "D", then report back before you follow the remaining steps as one of us will then walk you through deleting and creating new partitions.

If you are unsure how many partitions you have, you can check by doing this:

At the A:>, type in <b>FDISK</b> and hit enter. When asked "Do you want to enable large disk support?" click Y for yes.

Now - the FDISK options will appear. Choose "Display Partition Information" by typing in the number for it. You will then see a list of your partitions. Check to see if you have more than one Drive Letter. Hit ESC to exit back to the A:> prompt.

Assuming you have one partition, set as drive "C", then we want to format it to reload Windows:

At the A:> type in <b>FORMAT C:</b> and hit enter.

You will be promted with a warning that all information will be removed and "are you sure", so click Y for yes.

You will now see a percentage move up as the hard drive is formatted. Once it is complete, you are now ready to reload your operating system from the CD:

Place the Windows 98 CD into the CDROM drive and at the A:> prompt type in <b>D:SETUP</b>, (where "D" is the drive letter of your CDROM). Hit enter.

Windows should take it from here! Just follow along the steps to load the OS on your laptop. Have your product key code handy as you will be prompted eventually for the sequence. I am providing the link below for you in case you need to find drivers specific to your laptop that Windows does not automatically install. It also has useful information about your laptop:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...ale=en_US&prodTypeId=12454&prodSeriesId=31650

GOOD LUCK! Hope this helps. Let us know if we can do anything more for you. :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112990

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice