1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reinstaling Win 98

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Buddy21972, Nov 17, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Buddy21972

Buddy21972 Thread Starter

Ok, i got win xp for an old computer and i tried installing and somthing went wrong the setup wont complete and win 98 is gone. does anyone know how to reinstall win98? i have the cd.

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

Buddy21972
    At this point you will not be able to do a reinstall of 98 it will have to be a new install. What 98 CD do you have? Is it a recovery CD,
    Upgrade CD, or a complete copy of Win98?
    Dave

3. gwm0522

gwm0522

If you have a Win 98 boot disk, boot the computer with it and even if you have an upgrade version of Win 98, you can do an install from it. If it is an upgrade, you will need the Win 95 CD for the new OS to verify from. If you don't have a boot disk, you should be able to download boot files from the net, maybe someone can tell us where. Good luck.

4. Buddy21972

dave, it is a copy, it was a computer made for my aunt by a friend

5. Davey7549

Davey7549

Robet
    Good. Since you have a real mess on your hands I would prefer you start from scratch with a format and clean install. Here are links that will help you through the process.
    You will need a boot disk for win98. If you do not have one you can make one from here........www.bootdisk.com
    After you have the bootdisk start at step 3 in the website below.
    http://www.basichardware.com/HowTo_Format.html
    Let us know how it goes.
    Dave

6. Buddy21972

Tried all that boot disk stuff, is there a way just to start all over? can i like maybe delete everything and install it again? would that help???

7. Davey7549

Davey7549

Robet
    Thats what you are going to do with the bootdisk. If you follow the webpage you are going to do a format, (which will wipe your windows mess away) ans install Win98.
    Dave

8. Buddy21972

ok tried that get to where i run the cd, but every drive letter that i try it says invalid drive spcication, any ideas on what to do now?

9. Max19

Max19 Account Disabled

The CD is a copy of an actual Windows 98 CD? Does it have the Microsoft hologram on it?

10. Buddy21972

11. brianF

brianF

When you installed xp did you choose ntfs for the file system

12. Buddy21972

no clue what that even is, i tried the "recommended" way, and the computer froze in the setup, then (being the idoit i am) thought i could do it myself. so i think i deleted win 98 and tried to install xp. but, guess what??? IT FROZE in the setup!! so i came here and formatted the hard drive and i just can't find the drive letter for the cd rom.

13. brianF

brianF

When you boot with the boot disk, do you choose with cdrom support, do you see any error saying can't find cdrom. If not, whatever your cdrom drive was before the problem it will be one drive letter higher after booting with a win98 disk do to the bootdisk installing a ram drive, so if it was D, it will now be E.

If that doesn't work enter your bios and make sure the ide channel your cdrom is attached to is set to auto detect or cdrom.

When you start your machine you should see a message that the bios have recongnized the cdrom and hard disk, are you seeing these messages.

Can you get a directory of your hard disk, go to the c: prompt, type dir, does it give you a short list or error

14. Buddy21972

(sorry if i sound stupid but...) what's a bios?

15. brianF

brianF

when you restart your machine, watch for a message stating press key to enter setup, once in bios setup look for the menu containing the ide channels, should list primary master, slave, secondary master, slave. Set the channel the cdrom is connected to accordingly\

If you don't see a message here is a list of common keys to enter setup

Entering CMOS For Different Motherboards
    Press Tab during boot=Emachine
    Press del during boot= (AMI, Award).
    Press Esc during boot= Toshiba.
    Press F1 during boot= (Toshiba; Phoenix; Late model PS/1 Value Point and 330s).
    Press F2 during boot = (NEC).
    Press F10 when square in top RH corner of screen= (Compaq).
    Press Ins during boot=IBM PS/2 with reference partition.
    Shift Ctrl Alt + Num Pad del= - Olivetti PC Pro.
    Ctrl Alt ? =some PS/2s, such as 75 and 90.
    Ctrl-Esc = Misc Puters
    Ctrl Ins= some PS/2s when pointer at top right of screen.
    Press reset twice= some Dells.
    Ctrl Alt Enter= Dell.
    Ctrl Alt Esc=AST Advantage, Award, Tandon.
    Ctrl Alt + =Misc Puters
    Ctrl Alt S= Phoenix.
    Ctrl Alt Ins= (Zenith, Phoenix)
    Ctrl S =(Phoenix).
    Ctrl Shift Esc= Tandon 386.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58847

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice