1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reinstaling Win XP Home edition?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by SgtMcNary, Feb 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SgtMcNary

SgtMcNary Thread Starter

I have had my computer for almost two years and ever so often I like to wipe out the hard drive and start over from scratch. I have made a list of programs to make sure I can put them back on and I also have my entire hard drive backed up on an external hard drive so I can transfer my important files back over.

My question is what all do I need to get the system to work again. I have the Win XP Home instalation disk as well as the driver disk from dell. Will the computer automaticaly start using the two CD drives and 3.5 drive or do I need drivers for them as well? Sorry if this is a rookie question.. I just want to make sure once I wipe it out I am all set to get it back up and running.

The reason I decided to do this now is that I have a few spyware and viruses that I am having trouble getting off. They arnt doing anything because of my firewall and other settings. I just want to wipe it off and start over with a clean slate. Thanks in advance.

Scott

2. Emtronics

Emtronics

Real easy process. You will be surprised. Run the Recovery CD or Home installation disk. Insert it into your ROM and boot. It will self start and guide you through. Run the driver CD. It will probably instruct you to do so. No drivers need to be loaded by you for the floppy (shouldn't need it) or the ROM. You might, but only a slight chance, have to enter SETUP (BIOS) and change the boot order so the CD ROM is first.

3. ernliz

ernliz

Scott,

I did exactly what you're planning to do, for the same reasons. Things worked out perfectly. I did a LOT of homework before I started (used Google for "how to reinstall Windows XP") and got lots of help. The only "problem" you might encounter is the drivers installation. That is not automatic, and you MUST install your chipset drivers first, then your video, etc. The Dell site is great for info on that. No worries about the floppy and CD ROM drivers -- generic drivers are installed during the primary XP installation process.

After you get XP installed, install Windows XP SP-2 before going on the Internet!!!! Hopefully, you have the free Microsoft CD for SP-2. And, you must have your firewall up before going on line IF you have to DOWNLOAD XP SP-2! Then install all the Windows Updates and then you're ready for application installations. It's a long process, if you do it right, but you'll have a terrific machine when you're done.

One more thing: the ideal situation is to partition your hard drive (or have a second drive) and make an image of your C: drive after your XP SP-2 and applications installations. For that you'll need Powerquest's Drive Image, or something similar. In that way, you can forever restore your hard drive to your new, clean setup if you get hit by un-resolveable viruses or trojans again.

EW

4. SgtMcNary

SgtMcNary Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I really appriciate the advice. I dont have a SP2 disk though but I will be sure to install my zonealarm pro before connecting to the internet. I think im going to have to wait a few days till I get time to sit down and get all of this done. I will be sure to post my progress.

Again thanks for the help and advice.

5. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

You could possibly use AutoStreamer 1ยท0 to slipstream SP2 together with your XP CD.

All you need then is the 266Mb SP2 download from the MS Download site.

So it would be a good idea to do that before you start re-installing.

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

SgtMcNary,

Sounds like you already reinstalled and this went well for you.

To emphasize ernliz's suggestion. "the ideal situation is to partition your hard drive (or have a second drive) and make an image of your C: drive after your XP SP-2 and applications installations. "

Should the OS crash and fail to boot, or you just want to get back to that new setup, restoring that image typically only takes a few minutes.

7. SgtMcNary

SgtMcNary Thread Starter

If anyone has the link to download SP2 so I can put it on a CD then that would help me out a bunch. I have looked at the Microsoft site and im not sure which one I need. There are some for Outlook and a few others and the one I found was only like 567k.. which dosnt seam big enough.

8. Old Rich

Old Rich

9. SgtMcNary

SgtMcNary Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reply. Wish me luck.

10. Old Rich

Old Rich

Good luck . . it will go well . .

11. SgtMcNary

SgtMcNary Thread Starter

Got it all done VERY succesfully... thank all of you for your help

12. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

Nice Job, Sgt. Good for you.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/330974

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice