Reinstall and repair Windows?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Morania

Isn't there an option when you insert the Windows 98 disc to install only the files that may be missing or damaged?
I'm trying to help lady who uninstalled an anti-virus program and then develpoped serious boot issues. THe machine will boot into safe mode but not normally.
I'm hoping I can just repair the missing files (that's what I think happened here) without losing all of her stuff to do a clean install.

SFC is System File Checker,
You can run it by clicking Start / Run / SFC ,
Then click scan for altered files....

You can also access it by start / run / msinfo32
And click on TOOLS to select it, you can also run Scandisk, Registry Check, there too.

How about reinstalling the anti-virus software, that might get back her normal windows, then you could attempt another Uninstall, of find out first if this software has issues with it's uninstall, and take care of that.

To touch base with your reinstall options:
If your not gaining any ground on this problem,
You can reinstall windows over the top from DOS....she won't lose any of her programs / personal folders....

Boot to DOS........start pc / tap F8 / startup menu appears / select "command prompt only"

Type each command and hit enter:
cd windows
cd options
cd cabs

you will now see C:\windows\options\cabs
now type
SETUP

Windows will reinstall itself and save her files....
It's your call on whether she's ready to try this at this point

:)

Morania

Great instructions either way. Thanks. I haven't been messing with 98 lately.
It turns out that she probably has a Sven virus. I googled around a bit till I found some responses to her errors. I can fix the virus. Get her some Norton. Then I'll probably have to use the WIndows disc to repair the files that this thing has corrupted. It's a bad one and Symantec doesn't want to claim complete victory when you use their software to repair it.

" Get her some Norton" have you given any thought to using avg instead and then running housecall once in awhile?

Morania

Don't have any idea what you're talking about.................uh...ok...............I mean.....................no.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online