ReInstall before Activation

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

resol

Just have a quick question
Ive just bought an old pc off a "friend" who assured me his copy of XP was legit :mad:
I have gotten to the activation stage and it turns out its the wrong code
So what i was thinking was using my own disc that i have just bought, but i dont know how to format the hard drive from the activation screen.
As i dont have the right code for the copy that is installed at the moment, i would prefer to use my own copy, but everytimne i start up, it just boots to the log in screen, then asks if i want to activate this copy. If i say no, it logs me off

I hope you understand what i mean
Thanks for any help

What happens if you use your activation code, assuming it hasn't been used on another computer already.

resol

Bob Cerelli said:
What happens if you use your activation code, assuming it hasn't been used on another computer already.
I have tried calling my local Microsoft, and they told me that the code i have is wrong (they wouldnt tell me if it was already used) and before that i tried plugging my modem into the pc (to try connecting to the net, and activating that way) but no luck
So the only thing i can think of doing is formatting the HD, but i dont know how, if the "copy" already installed wont let me get past the activation process

Use the new code from your XP disc -- it should work, assuming you haven't already activated it from another machine.

resol

Ive tried that pr0t3st, ive been told (not sure of the truth to it) that an install disc must be used with the same cd key, so any other key i use wont work.
Which is what's happening now, so i would just prefer to reinstall the version i have just bought

The actual KEY code algorithm is already hardcoded into Windows. An XP PRO key will work with any XP PRO disc. You can't however, use an XP PRO key on XP HOME or XP PRO "CORP" (volume license) editions.

resol

pr0t3st said:
The actual KEY code algorithm is already hardcoded into Windows. An XP PRO key will work with any XP PRO disc. You can't however, use an XP PRO key on XP HOME or XP PRO "CORP" (volume license) editions.
:mad: :eek: :( :mad:
Thanks for your quick response pr0t3st. Unfortunately, i have bought a copy of Xp Pro. The version on the comp at the moment is Home
Is it possible to boot from the disc (that i have bought), or is there something else i can try?

Enter BIOS ( Setup ) and set the first boot device as CD/ROM. Put your Purchased XP Disc in the drive and disconnect all external peripherals except the monitor, keyboard and mouse, and be sure those are not USB, or wireless. Any internal USB card should also be removed.

Once you set your BIOS to boot first from cd . . when it restarts you will see a black screen with a prompt "Press any key to boot from CD" . . do that and you will be able to delete partitions and recreate the ones you want and proceed to formating and installing XP

That message can pass quickly, so have a finger on the keyboard when you boot.

resol

Much appreciate the help simpswr
Exactly what i needed to know
Thankyou to you all for your quick responses

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online