Reinstall keeps rebooting and rebooting

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

shetech52

I've search the forums and can't find anything like the problem I'm having. I have an IBM Pentium lll, 1000Mhz with preloaded software for disk-to-disk recovery, which I tried to use several times but there were way too many bad sectors to go on, so I went to plan B.
I installed another hard drive (that I know is good), did an fdisk and reformat and started the installation of Win ME, every thing was perfect.....Windows finished installing and rebooted to complete the installation, I got the Updating System Settings window and from there it was down hill.
Once the Updating System Settings finishes it reboots and starts a Scandisk based on Improper shutdown, the scandisk never quite finishes and here comes another reboot, the cycle never stops. I have reformatted again and reinstalled the OS again and it's doing the same thing, I have done a surface scan was fine.
A couple of other things that I've noticed; when it's doing the scandisk if I do a Ctrl+Alt+Delete the only 3 things listed in the task mgr are, Scandisk, Autochk & Statemgr, if I cancel the task manager wait 10 seconds and do another Ctrl+Alt+Delete only the Scandisk and Autochk are there the Statemgr is gone. When I pull up the task manager and choose shutdown, it sounds like it's going through the process and then the monitor clicks off but I can still hear the hard drive and power supply running and the power light is still on.
A couple of times when I've powered down, unplugged the power cord for a minute, plugged it back up and powered up then it boots to Safe Mode and I actually get a desktop, then Help and Support pops up and it starts the rebooting cycle again.
:eek: Sorry for the length of the post, just wanted to give as much info as I could.
Thank you in advance, I appreciate any help I can get.
shetech52

It sounds like it could be bad RAM or the PSU. Do you have an older OS like Windows 95 or 98 you could try installing just to see if you can make it past the Updating System Settings stage? I don't know why it would be ME itself causing that, which is why I think it's hardware related but trying a different OS might be worth a shot.

You can also test your RAM by downloading this free software from here:

http://www.simmtester.com/page/products/doc/docinfo.asp

You would need to create a self-booting diagnostic diskette.

Sounds to me like there is trash on the harddrive that you can't eliminate simply by using FDISK and FORMAT. Since a physical surface scan showed no problems, you should wipe the drive COMPLETELY clean. Of course, there are two basic ways to do that; one method is to use a low-level format utility from the harddrive manufacturer, IF they happen to provide one.

The SECOND method is to download the MADBOOT.EXE program, and use it to create a MADBOOT floppy disk. Once you've created the madboot floppy, simply use it to boot the system; don't worry about choosing options as it loads, it will use the best default configuration if you simply allow it to load without interruption.

Once it finishes loading, MADBOOT will provide you a simple GUI interface; you can point and click, instead of typing anything at the DOS prompt. MADBOOT will give you the option to do a zero-fill of the harddrive, which will overwrite every single sector on the drive, including the areas you can't access with a standard bootup floppy disk. Use the zero-fill option to wipe the slate clean; it will give you the peace of mind of knowing that there is NOTHING hiding on the HDD when you reinstall Windows.

Better yet, MADBOOT will ALSO provide you with the option of doing a complete install of any modern Windows OS; just click the button to install WinME, and let MADBOOT do the grunt work for you.

You'll have to create an account there (they've just changed the website, and no longer allow anyone to download MADBOOT.EXE without creating an account first); start with THIS link to CREATE an account:

http://www.madboot.com/dev/componen...dex.php?option=com_registration&task=register

Be sure to provide a VALID e-mail address, so you can complete the registration process.

http://www.madboot.com/index.php?option=com_docman&task=cat_view&gid=13&Itemid=28

Once you've completed registration, open the second link, then follow the prompts to download MADBOOT.EXE for free.

Keep in mind that zero-filling the entire drive will take several hours, depending on the size of the HDD you're using, but I've been able to bring several harddrives back from the dead with the MADBOOT zero-fill option. I used it just recently to revive two "junk" 40 GB harddrives, and that saved me some money.

Good luck; if this isn't clear, post any questions you might have. Several of the techs who post advice here have experience with MADBOOT, and I wouldn't have to work without it nowadays, because of the time it saves me.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online