1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reinstall of XP with a twist

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by tbone937, Aug 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tbone937

tbone937 Thread Starter

Ok, I've been running XP on my computer for about 4 years and currently it started acting kinda of buggy (with the main problem being the DSL became EXCEPTIONALLY slow unlike the rest of the comptuers in the house).

I got pissy and started removing programs that I don't currently use etc, etc. Same for files and log type stuff that accumulates and is left over from uninstall shield.

So I'm wanting to get all the data/programs that I actually DO want to keep and place them on one of the other two hard drives that are connected to my computer (both internal but both ONLY data, if you want to know if they are slave or whatever I could find out if you can tell me how but currently do not know, I simply plugged them in, ran scandisk, formatted them and began using the for data) and reinstall windows XP on the main HD.

I am 99% sure i have an XP disc.

At this point I want to be sure I'm not making it impossible to ever again access the data on the other 2 hard drives. By locking them to that older windows system somehow? Should I remove them and then preform these actions then simply plug them back in?

Also, since I'm "starting clean" what tips tricks should I use to make my new-er (but still kinda crappy Hardware) run better? Keep data on the other harddrives? Redhat? Gentoo? Linux a GREAT idea for any reason (kinda scared to learn it)? Open office instead of MS? anything you guyz can tell me would be appreciated.

Last, I've been lucky and never had to reinstall XP, how does one go about it?

Thanks
    D

2. steven1350

steven1350

Since its in another drive, you should be fine. Its usually on the files in Documents and Settings that become inaccessible.

If you are still worried about this data, put it on a cd or dvd, or send the files to another computer, and retrieve them after.

But your first idea should be fine

Note: for your linux ideas, its not really hard to learn(but gentoo is not recomedned for noobies). You only need the free programs like open office if you want to save money. Windows is fine, and if you have the software, use it.

3. tbone937

tbone937 Thread Starter

thanks, and will this reinstall (after i redownload the service packs and .net framework, etc) make my computer run a bit faster?
    D

4. steven1350

steven1350

probobly. A re-install will ensure things like virus' and spyware are gone on your computer. But if you never had any of this, speed should stay about the same (mabye slightly faster)

5. tbone937

tbone937 Thread Starter

I should be ok, tho I will admit I dont Pay big bucks for antivirus protection, I use AVG and other free/shareware resources...

I think I'm fine unless I have something really sneaky (rootkits, seem like they could outwit me or a reallly good antivirus anyhow)...

anyway, still feeling the situatin out.

well see
    D

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489324

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice