1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reinstall: Office 97, Word, Works

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Marturo, Dec 23, 2001.

Mark Solved
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Marturo

Marturo Guest Thread Starter

I have a little problem with a 5245 Compaq Presario. After a complete format of both C/D one HD. When I try to use the Factory Restore disk only the Win 98 OS will load with a few programs, however I can't seem to find a way to load Office 97 with Word & Works. This disk may work as a restore disk when you restore the computer by using D as save during the Restore. When the entire HD is formatted I belive the disk becomes a factory setup disk for 6 different numbered Computers besides the 5245. I think that a complete format will have to be done again but just what commands to use on the setup have me baffled. Yes when I explore the CD I see Office 97, Word & Works in there, I just can't open or execute them. Anyone have any experience with formating a Compaq HD completely and losing your Office Programs? Then finding a way to reload them by doing a factory type install. Marturo

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Do a search on the CD for files called setup.exe.

If you happen to find one amidst folders named something like Office, you've probably got the right one. Just double-click it. (Of course, you'll want to have ALL programs closed. And, if Findfast is one of the programs it wants to install, UNSELECT it please. You don't want to install that.

3. Marturo

After formatting the entire drive, and running the restore disk there were many choices for program packages to install. Each time after a choice was made a screen came up wanting to know if I was ready to close and clean up install. When I explore the CD now it has no .exe files except for Restore.exe it is a whole different CD when it has a blank HD to work with. This is why I believe this is both a factory setup disk for the 5245,43,44,46,47,48,49 the only difference would be the machine that you bought as to what software pkg would be put on. I was trying to format the HD in order to install Win 98SE only to find out that Compaq uses so much Software emulation that only Compaqs version of Windows98 would load and give me an OS to work with. There has to be a system used by Compaq when they first use this disk to make the machine a 5245 or a 5247 ect. I think this is like when you want to set up your Personal Web Server in Win 98 SE you use an X: instead of D: to access another program not seen in the normal Win 98 SE install. Does any of this make sense? Marturo

4. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Yes, Marturo, you're making sense. But you know what? I'm going to move this to the Windows forum. They'll be more familiar with restore stuff. The application is kind of moot at this point; the restore disk/drives has a lot more to do with your problem.

I hope it helps us out!

5. Marturo

I did something that I was not allowed to do. No I don't regret it and yes Microsoft Office 97 MS Word and MS Works are costly. However after building 11 Computers PC (Post Compaq ), that save a few little ports on the Mother Board everything is, your wish is my comand. I do not have the 5245 Compaq Presario any longer, I gave it to a friend. Yes we are still good friends, you know who he calls for his free PC advice. In the begining all was well with the every 6 months Restore, I ran all my work off of zip disks. Compaq patches, Windows patches this was how a computer should run not to fun :)>0 For three years I learned the hard way how Software Emulation will remove the control you should have over your own Computer. This may be ok with you, however I will be the judge of just what and how any hardware I choose will work, or out it goes and in goes what I want. I'm not saying go out and throw your name brands into the trash. Just remember that when you let someone other than yourself, our a private Computer builder design your box, you have to play by their rules. When you break them, don't expect help from those who made those rules for you to follow. Merry Christmas and a Happy Healthy New Year to you and yours.
    Marturo

6. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    I always seem to have an upgrade AND a full install of a recent version of Windows. And I NEVER buy my software preinstalled. Yuk. I hear ya.

7. Marturo

Well Dream Boat I think you might have seen this coming. Who dares to stray off the path ( pun intended). I thought what it was about could be, Mike Vs the machine, but that's too easy. I think it has more to do with the thinking behind forcing people to buy your overpriced software & hardware without giving the sucker a choice. You could tell no doubt that I had worn out my welcome with Compaq & Microsoft, I did ask some hard questions. I don't loose well, so I am sure as the puzzle grows the answers will come. For now it is time to move on to more important things, after all I lost a few software programs, Compaq and the name brands lost me; and anyone I can help to free themselves from the trap. Marturo

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62738

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice