Reinstall one of two installed Windows XP.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

nook79

Hi. I hope this is a good forum!

I've got a computer with two XP installed (on two different partitions). I think it's done through XP:s own feature. When I start my computer I'm presented with a menu (sort of dos) where I can choose what system to start along with a countdown.

I'd like to wipe clean one of these systems and install a fresh one, but keeping the other one intact, but I'm not really sure how to do it.

Can I just use my XP-Cd and choose to reinstall one of them (and format that drive)?

Hi

Have you actually got 2 installations of windows on your pc, or is it just a duplicate entry in your boot file.

(does your pc boot to the same desktop whichever choice you make at bootup)

Rob

aka Brett

Banned
You can use the xp cd to wipe and reinstall over one of the installs.
I would reinstall over the second one....I have done this before with the boot menu staying proper,If you install over the first one I done know if the mbr will be damaged thereby making the second install missing from the boot menu...it could be repaired of course if it were.

Two installs can come in handy..I have the desktop set up that way.... {C}the first install is used for family pics work etc...rarely sees the internet unless uploading files....{D} the second install is more for general usage of the internet etc.
If D gets hosed you can work on it with C...if it becomes to much trouble...then just install again,as everything important is on C anyway

nook79

Yeah, it's two separate installations.

I'm using one for music production (no internet) and the other for everything else. So obviously the one with internet has broken down.

Thanks aka Brett for the tip. I think that's the way I'm gonna do it.

You can use the xp cd to wipe and reinstall over one of the installs.
I would reinstall over the second one....I have done this before with the boot menu staying proper,If you install over the first one I done know if the mbr will be damaged thereby making the second install missing from the boot menu...it could be repaired of course if it were.
Yes, this is the way it should be done.(y)

Rob

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online