1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reinstall/Repair/Clean Start or....

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Cinderian, Apr 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cinderian

Cinderian Thread Starter

I have been having some glitches with my XP Professional Op System and thought that doing a reinstall/repair might solve the problems. However, XP would not allow me to do a reinstall because the kernal file has been modified. Now what do I do? :eek:

Listed below are the glitches on my system.

1) XP cannot format a dos bootdisk
    Needed to boot up another PC. I get a DCOM error where the system is trying to copy files from my Nvidia Display drvers. One of the registry threads needs editing I assume.

2) Menu fonts disappearing
    Some of the fonts are dissappearing from my menus, noticeably 'Open' appears as a 'O' and 'Close' appears as 'Cl'. Some titles are very hard to see. I am using WindowBlinds and Icon developer.

3) Services and Network Configurations
    I am planning to share my internet connections cable modem with my roomates PC. Currently I am a standalone PC, and always plan to be. The roomate runs Windows 98SE. My computer seems to partly configured to be set up on a Lan or home network. I use XP firewall, file sharing, etc. for messenger and chat, but it seems like too many network services and shared files) are running when all I want to do is share a cable connection. I have spent hours (days) trying to understand network configs, what is essential etc., but I am getting tired.

In trying to reinstall Windows XP Professional ontop of the existing installation (repair) I get this message:

"Windows has detected that one or more protected core system files (kernel) on your computer have been modified. The Service Pack contains updated versions of those files, which work to provide a stable environment for your programs. Due to this modification, the Service Pack will not be installed. For more information, see Knowledge Base article Q327516 at http://support.microsoft.com."

I wasn't sure if I should use one thread for each problem or keep them under the title Repair/Reinstall/Clean Start.
    :confused:

I really appreciate the information and advice that you provide knowing that it helps not just me but all of us in the big equation of things. Thanks!
    ;)

2. dai

dai

in the run box type
    sfc /scannow
    to repair the system files
    to do a repair installation
    set the bios to boot from cd first
    pop in the xp cd
    reboot the computer
    choose install
    ignore the first repair option and continue with install
    when windows finds the previous installation
    then repair
    install sp1 and any ms updates
    if you don't want to share files just don't enable sharing
    if you don't want your computer on for your friend to use the internet use a router,or your computer will have to be on for your friend to be able to connet to the net

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/218581

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice