1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reinstall WIN 98SE

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by fpat, Sep 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fpat

fpat Thread Starter

My IBM Aptiva (old but still useful) came with WIN 95, was upgraded to WIN 98, and upgraded again to WIN 98SE. My question is can I reinstall the WIN 98SE upgrade over the old one without losing my programs and data? Would I just insert the upgrade CD and reinstall? Thanks for any advice.

2. Styxx

Styxx Banned

you should back up your sensitive data well before you start, OK?

you can try, after you make backups you're well satisfied with, to just throw the CD in the drive, but likely you'll have to do the over-write in DOS. I can tell you how to do that easy. Just do the backups first.

3. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Backup all your Sensitive Data (Internet Explorer Favorites; Netscape Bookmarks, Address Book and Netscape Mail Folders; Outlook Express Address Books and Folders (compress any Netscape Mail or Outlook Express folders first) letters, pictures, databases, spreadsheets, music, etc.) to removable media for restoring later.

4. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

You "shouldn't" lose anything except the way that your computer was set up, but with Windows you never know what's coming down the pike, so do your back up or make a ghost image and always make a copy of your .pst files if you are using Outlook. Make sure you have plenty of space on the C: drive because the install might give you some trouble if you don't.

5. Rache

Rache Banned

I used to reinstall 98se over itself often with no loss of data. Only thing is you'll have to sort out some of the settings again. Best to b/up though.

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Fpat:

Reinstalling 98SE over itself will not cause you to lose your programs or data. You may have to reinstall a few Windows updates afterwards.

Before you get started, you might want to read here. It might save you some grief.

Frank's Windows 95/98 Tips

7. fpat

fpat Thread Starter

Thanks for your responses guys. I followed your advice about backups and proceeded with the reinstall. It worked out OK. Computer seems happier now, after I changed few settings.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167496

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice