1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reinstall WIN XP over Win XP to correct System Restore

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by HarryHemlock, Feb 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HarryHemlock

HarryHemlock Thread Starter

Revision of my earlier posting.
    My System Restore does not work. Period.
    I cannot get a calendar to go back to a previous time. All suggestions I have received did not restore System Restore to working condition.
    I do not want to go into the Registry.
    Can I install WinXP over Win XP and in effect restore my System Restore?

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

See this guide to performing a repair installation.

wrs

3. HarryHemlock

HarryHemlock Thread Starter

Belated thanks for your recommendation.
    But I have a problem trying to use implement the recommendation.
    (1) When I tried to use my Windows XP Home CD I get a message saying "Setup cannot find a previous edition installed on your computer. " I tried this 4 times without success. I successfully installed XP with the CD as well as a reinstalltion
    I want to try 2 workarounds. I need your advice.
    (a) Can I use someones XP upgrade CD like mine and use it without a problem?
    (b) Or can I someones Dell XP Reinstallation CD? I borrowed my daughter's.
    (By the way she used your suggestion and the CD and did a successful Repair Install. Many thanks)

4. Old Rich

Old Rich

1). Usually, if the repair install option cannot find a previous installation it means that installtion is corrupt . .

2). You can use another cd, but it has to be the same version ( Home or PRo ) and the same gender ( OEM, Upgrade or Full )

4). If your system is a Dell, yes . . you can use another Dell installation disc.

Your best option is likely to backup your data and perform a fresh install. It will take a half day, but you will have a stable and dependabel system. You should install SP2 immediately following the clean install.

This is a good guide to reinstalling XP . . you might want to print it for reference during the install.

http://www.socrtwo.info/cleanxpinstall.htm

You will have to reload drivers (Chipset first) and applications, After the installation, you will need to download and install SP-2, while windows is clean. Prior to connecting to the internet be sure you enable the XP firewall.

If you want to save your files and settings, you can use the XP Files and Settings Transfer (FAST) wizard to create an image of them and save to cd or other removable media. This is a good guide to using the FAST wizard. Just be sure you have an up-to-date antivirus before you re-instate them!

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_fstw.asp

wrs

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/328665

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice