1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reinstall windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Geekthis, Aug 3, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. Geekthis

Geekthis Thread Starter

Question if I put my recovery cd that does not have drivers on it for Windows 7 do I need to load the drivers first before I do that or can I do that after the fact? I just tried using the command prompt to get to my recovery partition but that isn’t working. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you all.

2. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Install Windows and go to Windows Update. Then keep going back to Windows Update until you get a message that "Windows is up to date".

Now check Device Manager to see which devices might still need a driver.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Is this associated with your Dell Studio 1749 laptop that came with Windows 7 that you upgraded to Windows 10 and didn't like and decided to revert back to Windows 7?

What's the exact 7-character service tag/serial number on it?

---------------------------------------------------------------

4. Geekthis

Geekthis Thread Starter

Yes it is. 1HGBWM1. Thanks

5. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You have THIS Dell Studio 1749 laptop.
    It was purchased in October 2011 in the U.S.A. and came with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

Where exactly did you get that "recovery CD" that you're using to try to reinstall Windows 7?

6. Geekthis

Geekthis Thread Starter

68EF036D-5C3A-4234-8630-283EC3D76954.jpeg
    From dell when I bought the laptop

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    That disc is only for installing Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit.
    It does not contain the drivers for your laptop's devices.
    You need to obtain the necessary drivers from your laptop's Drivers & Downloads section.
    Install Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit first, then install the necessary drivers afterwards.
    After that's done, follow the steps in my Windows 7 install and update guide.

68EF036D-5C3A-4234-8630-283EC3D76954.jpg

Do you have your laptop's disc drive set first in the boot order in the BIOS setup screen?
    What happens when you insert it in the disc drive and then try to boot from it?

------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
  8. Geekthis

Geekthis Thread Starter

My disk drive isn’t working but I have a usb drive. So I guess I would have to make the USB the first boot option and go from there. I haven’t tried it because I was unsure about where the drivers would be or how I should do the drivers as you can see the drivers are not included. And by the way how did you edit the photo I couldn’t figure that out.

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I've been editing and adding to my last reply, so please re-read it.

If the disc drive in your laptop isn't working, then you're not going to be able to use that install DVD.

10. Geekthis

Geekthis Thread Starter

You might have misunderstood my last reply. The USB drive is a disk Drive. So I should be able to use that correct, as long as the disk is installed when I reboot the computer?

11. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Are you referring to an external USB disc drive that you have connected to your laptop?

If you are, I'm not sure if you can boot from the install DVD in it and install Windows 7 in that manner.

----------------------------------------------------------------

12. Geekthis

Geekthis Thread Starter

Well when I get the time I’ll try and I’ll let you know what happens.

13. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I'm getting ready to shut down for the rest of the day, so I'll check back here tomorrow morning.

You should seriously consider replacing the defective internal disc drive in your laptop.

14. Geekthis

Geekthis Thread Starter

Flavallee, Just want you to know I changed the boot order in the bios to put the USB first and it came up press any key to boot from the DVD drive. I didn’t hit the key therefore it defaulted to the hard drive and windows started again but it looks like it can be done. Thanks for your help. When I do do this I will follow your instructions. Also I disable the other DVD player so there wouldn’t be any conflict. It still shows up that it’s working fine in device manager. Yes I was thinking of replacing the drive but I can only find used ones and it is quite the task.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
  15. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Okay, good.
    I wasn't sure if Windows 7 can be installed in that manner because I've never tried it.

I've done a clean install of Windows 7 SP1 64-bit 100+ times over the years, so I've developed an install and update guide that works well and saves time.
    If you follow it carefully and correctly, it should work well for you.

----------------------------------------------------------------

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1230974

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice