1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

reinstall windows live essentials

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by grandma77, May 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. grandma77

grandma77 Thread Starter

My mother in law got a new computer with windows 7 and windows live essentials. She has windows live email. She cannot send or receive email and the password box keeps coming up asking for her account name and password which she cannot remember.

Can windows live essentials be removed from the computer and be reinstalled and clear this up? She is 80 years old so I am trying to correct this for her. I know tech guy frowns on helping recover passwords so I am not asking for that. I was just wondering if removing the program and reinstalling would let her start over again? Thank you for your help.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Start - Control Panel - Programs and Features - uninstall Windows Live Essentials - you will be prompted to see if you want to uninstall the whole package or just part(s).

However, that won't accomplish what you want to do. Windows Live Mail is just an email client. You still need to know the account name and password of the email service. What service is she trying to use? The ISP's? Or a free one like gmail or hotmail? Who set this up initially?

3. grandma77

grandma77 Thread Starter

she has comcast internet and email. Is it her email account name and password for comcast? I am not sure how she set it up. She said it has never worked right. Said she could receive mail at first but not send it. At her age I am afraid she might have set it up wrong. That is why I wondered if I reinstalled it would that would help. I think she has her comcast name and password written down and I will try it if that is what it should be.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Here is possibly some Comcast help.

According to these probably old instructions the mail servers are mail.comcast.net (POP3) and smtp.comcast.net (outgoing). And, yes, you will need to know her account and password. With the account there may be a way to reset the password--try their web mail.

5. grandma77

grandma77 Thread Starter

Thank you Terry. That is what I have been doing, showed her how to get in the web mail and she gets it there. Also she stated she would like outlook express back...but from everything I read I don't think it will work on windows 7...am I correct. She stated "but there is a download for outlook express"... hard to help her comprehend that doesn't mean it is compatible with windows 7 but I think she is beginning to understand lol. If I am wrong and she could put it on windows 7 let me know please. Thanks again.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Outlook Express finally died with Windows XP. My personal opinion is that Windows Live Mail (2009 version) is, like OE, not too good and Windows Live Mail 2011 is terrible. Since your grandmother is going to have to use web mail or get used to something else I suggest trying Mozilla Thunderbird. While it's a lot better than OE your grandmother may appreciate that it is, by default, just an email client--no calendar, not instant messaging or links to other social media.

Some people have managed to get Vista's Windows Mail (Vista's "new and improved" OE) downloaded from somewhere and working in Windows 7.

7. grandma77

grandma77 Thread Starter

Thank you again. I will check into Mozilla Thunderbird and see if she would like that. All she needs is email, she doesn't need the other stuff. You have been a great help. I will be going back to her house Monday and check all her settings and password one more time and if that doesn't work I will suggest the mozilla thunderbird to her.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/997816

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice