1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reinstall Windows Without Deleting All My Stuff?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Holly3278, Feb 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Holly3278

Holly3278 Thread Starter

Hi everyone. I am encountering a few errors with my PC that seem to be unsolvable. Nobody here has been able to help me with them so I have decided that I want to reinstall Windows. However, I am wondering if there is a way to do this without deleting all my programs? In other words, can I do it without formatting my PC? :confused:

Also, I am considering just formatting my PC and reinstalling everything. However, is there a way that I can backup my Windows Updates so I don't have to redownload all of them? Also, what about my Norton Internet Security updates? Can I back those up so I don't have to redownload them?

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

3. Holly3278

Holly3278 Thread Starter

If I do a repair install, will I have to redownload all the Windows Updates?

4. Old Rich

Old Rich

Yes you will

5. valis

valis Moderator

and all the drivers, too. I would recommend that you d/l the nic driver for your machine now, while you have internet connection, then you can go d/l the other drivers once you reinstall windows.

6. Holly3278

Holly3278 Thread Starter

Okay thanks. Can you tell me how to boot my install CD? I forgot. I have a repair CD that came with the computer but I can't remember how to get it to boot before startup.

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Is this a full XP CD or a Restore CD.

The reason is an XP CD will let you do a repair install.

A restore CD generally puts the computer back the way it came from the factory. In that case everything would be removed from your computer that has been added since then.

8. Holly3278

Holly3278 Thread Starter

I believe it is a Restore CD but I have installed Windows XP fresh from a full format with it before.

9. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Yes but this time it sounds like you don't want to format the drive and keep at least what data you have on there.

10. Holly3278

Holly3278 Thread Starter

That is correct.

Hey if any of you care, could you help me out in my other thread about the blue screen of death I'm getting. I am going to attempt to tackle that problem one more time before I reinstall Windows.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540850

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice