Reinstall XP, cannot dwnld SP2

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Canyonlu

I had major problems today. Finally reinstalled XP over the previous install. I had SP2, and all was well. Now, I canNOT access Windows Update any way at all. Not from Help Center, not from the web. It hangs the computer and CPU runs at 100% until I CTRL-ALT-DEL. Also had problems with PSCS2. Cannot install it because it tells me I have to have SP2. But When I try to download it, the message is I ALREADY have it.

The Security Center has nothing in it...not even the firewall.

Any ideas? It's been a two day problem, and I cannot find an answer!

Thanks so much.

Canyonlu

Post this in the Xp/w2k forum, your security settings in control panel might hace to be readjusted such as allow automatic updates and you might have to change some active X settings!

Canyonlu

Thanks for your reply, khazars. I was up very late, tweaking and trying, and finally got it. I did so many things, I'm not sure WHAT did it. I appreciate your reply, though, and will continue to see if I can ever help anyone!

Canyonlu

Maybe it was just Xpsp2 settling in, it can go a bit haywire on some people's systems when installed!

Canyonlu

After two installs, all of a sudden my USB2 devices are not recognized. This is agonizing! I thought SP2 for XP provided those USB2 dirvers? I've NEVER had this happen. Tried unplugging and plugging in, no go.

If it's not one thing, seems it's many others. Thanks for any insight!

Canyonlu

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online