1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

REINSTALL XP with COMPAQ RECovery disks

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jeffreyalan, Oct 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jeffreyalan

jeffreyalan Thread Starter

I am trying to recover from an HD failure and have been trying for days to resinstall XP with the crappy Recovery disks that Compaq gives you. They never seem to work and the system always crashes before I get through the install. I think that the Compaq disks are faulty.
    Of course, they don't bother to give you a copy of the OS when you buy the machine.
    Right now I am trying to install XP on the Compaq machine with a Dell installation disk.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I thnk the best way would be to install from a new XP disk (not OEM) but that involves buying a new copy which I think is a rip off since I have a license already. This really sucks.

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Well if you are trying to install windows xp from a set of Dell recovery disks on a Compaq then you are in for a real treat - This will not work the Dell disks are written for a Dell computer not a Compaq. In order for to install the Compaq you have to have in your possession the Compaq disks and you will have to call Compaq for them and you might be able to get them for free with just paying shipping and handling. Compaq lost a law suit about this several months ago and will send certain ones for no cost except S&H.

The only other way to get around this is to purchase a retail version of Windows XP.

3. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

you don't say if you have replaced the hd or if you're trying to squeeze some life out of the old hd and it makes a difference.

i doubt if the recovery disks are bad but nothing's impossible.

they just give a recovery disk.:confused:

4. jeffreyalan

Thanks for the info, that's kinda what I figured. I already bought disks from Compaq and they don't seem to work. They pop out at odd times, then reinsert themselves, etc.
    I have gotten to the point where Windows is trying to resinstall itself, then crashes with about 30 minutes to go. I would like to get my hands on a clean copy of XP without giving Microsoft any more money. Since I already have the product key I should be OK. Correct?
    Or when it goes online to veryify, will Microsoft tell me that I didn't pay for the full version/ (Assuming I can find an XP disk from someone).

5. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

i think you have mb or hd problems.

not sure your product key works with any other xp cd's.

6. jeffreyalan

I replaced the HD with a brand new one. It seems to work OK, I can Fdisk, etc. It has been recognized in the BIOS. This compaq machine is several years old and the recovery disks I am using are prior to SP2. I have recently replaced the RAM, and believe that it OK.
    Like I said, I can go through the process with the Compaq disks, but never seems to complete. Sometimes I will pop disk 1 in and it tell me to contact Compaq support. (Like that is a possiblity in these times).

Any suggestions anyone has would be appreciated.

7. jeffreyalan

Is there a way to diaganose a hardware issue from a CD? Perhaps someone could point me to a good web site to download an utility. Thanks in advance.

8. jrbuergel

jrbuergel

First Name:
    Jim
    Have you created one or more partitions, and formatted the file system yet on the new hard drive? This can be done by booting to a borrowed XP CD, and here is a site for hardware utilities; http://www.utilitygeek.com/

9. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

the cd works or it doesn't.

you say it seems to work ok, partitioning is done from the cd, you can see the same info during the xp install/restore from the cd if the cd is ok.

fdisk means a bootddisk, what do you see?

10. jeffreyalan

I have tried the Fdisk route, booting with an Fdisk, then deleting the partitions and recreating them. I have also formatted the C drive this way to see if this helps. The set of 3 disks that came from Compaq seem to actually create and format the partitions.
    I have gotten throught the sequenced of inserting/replacing the set of 3 disks only to get to the Windows set up screens and usually with about 34 minutes to go it crashes. Then it tells me to restart if it is the first time I have seen this screen and I do to no avail.
    I did get a partitial install completed once (it kinda worked, but I had several errors in the process of installing windows and felt it was a good install).

Perhaps this could be a MB issue?

11. jrbuergel

jrbuergel

First Name:
    Jim
    mayby this PC needs updated device drivers installed, and even a BIOS update flashed too? Have you ran a test on the RAM memory yet, this can be done by booting to a floppy disc with a memory test utility on it.

12. jeffreyalan

No I haven't. Could you give me a link so that I can make a floppy?

13. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

probably hd.

every time you fdisk/formatt, it's tuff on the hd.

bootdisks format fat32, unless these disks are diferent, xp needs ntfs and all partitioning removal/creation/formatting ntfs can be done with the cd, unless the cd or hd are defective.:cool:

14. jrbuergel

jrbuergel

First Name:
    Jim
  15. Rich-M

Rich-M

I'm wondering if the cd drive is shot, Compaqs use particularly bad ones. Double check the cd's are clean also.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!