1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

reinstall xp

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by andypp, Nov 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. andypp

andypp Thread Starter

i have had my pc nearly 2 years with the programmes ive installed and uninstalled its got to have left files behind... what i want to no if i can reinstall wndows xp so it cleans all the rubbish thats on the pc and can i use the serial key that came with the pc to activate it

2. Athan

Athan

Reinstalling XP would clean only your root drive ( the drive where you had previously installed XP if you install it over the older version ). The data on your other drives would be left intact.

And yes you should be able to use the serial key that came with the PC to do a clean install !

~a

3. andypp

andypp Thread Starter

so the drivers would still be on the pc and i wouldnt have to reinstall them and would this clean all the rubibsih of the hard drive and make it like it was when i bought it

4. Athan

Athan

You will need the drivers !
    make sure you download and burn all the relevant drivers onto a cd before you proceed !

~a

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Installing "clean" Windows means formatting the drive which deletes all data including drivers, programs, music, data, etc. Back up what you want to keep.

6. Jeruvy

Jeruvy

Actually, if you do not FORMAT the disk first, you'll just double the amount of rubbish.

Whether or not the 'serial key' you have works or not is up to you. I certainly don't comprehend this statement and if you are for sure stuck, ask Microsoft.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/647981

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice