1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reinstallation of w95 over existing corrupt w98 os....

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by webzter, Apr 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. webzter

webzter Thread Starter

Hello;

Purchased an IBM laptop with a corrupt version of w98 preinstalled.

I have complete w95 and the w98 upgrade disks. My objective is to do a reinstallation of the w95, then upgrade with w98....question is, can older windows be installed over a newer OS? Have received varrying input re
    feasibility of "old over new" windows and would like to avoid making matters worse, but the level of corruption presently demonstarted with existing w98 virtually renders the PC useless, so need to make the change-

I've done a ton of searches on installing older windows over newer versions and cant find any pros or cons-

Anyone with an opinion as to the likihood of either success or failure with the above undertaking- I'd sure appreciate any and all advice on the subject!
    I would imagine it to be a matter of simply following prompts, but then again, what do i know!

Many thanks
    Webz

2. brite750

brite750

Never tried that, but I got to think no. You could do a reformat, and install 95, then upgrade to 98 though. When you go to install 95 over 98 what does it say?

3. brite750

brite750

Additionally, what is your skill level ? If you are not a highly skilled technogeek, that has a thourgh understanding of windows operating system, and DOS, I wouldn't go there. Of course windows may just tell you NO, and nip this little experiment in bud. If there are files you need to save and such, you can back them up, and do fresh install, especially since your saying os is corrupt.

sorry thought of something else, have you tried getting one of TSG's expert people to repair your existing os?

4. webzter

webzter Thread Starter

Appreciate your reply- thanks.

I was planing on a single partician fdisk, go to 95, get it established, then do the upgrade- having performed fdisk apps in the past, and having all the software on-hand, thought i could make a go of it- sound feasible?

Many thanks again.....
    WEBZ

5. kilowatt1

kilowatt1

:) Your best bet is to reformat the hard drive and install Win98. You can do a full install using the Win98 upgrade CD without installing Win95 first. HERE is a link from microsoft on the procedure. The key is to be sure that the CDROM drive will work using the generic drivers provided on a Win98 boot disk BEFORE you reformat the hard drive. Also, if the floppy drive and CDROM drive can't be connected to the laptop at the same time, then there is an additional step that will be needed.

Good luck.

Kilowatt

6. webzter

webzter Thread Starter

kilowatt, hey;

appreciate the reply.....problem is, I have the w98 that requires a previous version of windows to already be installed- or do i not have that right?
    thanks
    webz

7. kilowatt1

kilowatt1

:) No. If you have the Win98 upgrade CD and the Win95 CD (or even floppies) then that's all you need. You do not have to install Win95 first. During the Win98 installation form the Win98 upgrade CD, you will be prompted for proof of "an earlier version" of Windows at which time you will remove the Win98 upgrade CD and insert the Win95 CD.

Kilowatt

8. webzter

webzter Thread Starter

YOUR GOOD! I'll do it!!!
    Thanks for the assist!
    webz

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222706

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice