1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

reinstalled to factory condition xp-home

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by majorevie, Jan 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. majorevie

majorevie Thread Starter

had to wipe HD. reinstalled SP3 for xp home.I have a broadband 2 go usb plug-n-play but it will not reinstall. it works on other computers but not my laptop.It worked fine before i wiped it. I am meeting system requirements as far as i know.it reads the usb but will not properly install it. any ideas?

2. surferdude2

surferdude2

Did you reinstall the drivers for your MOBO? That might be keeping your Network Interface from working. Check in Device Manager for the NIC and it's status.

3. majorevie

majorevie Thread Starter

MOBO? NIC? the software loads into device manager but there is no desktop link like before and it cannot be found in add remove programs like before, the only reason it makes it into device manager is i stole the software file from another computer and tried to do it manually.its not properly configured,its plug and play but not plugging and playing,it has something to do with the destructive hard drive wipe

4. surferdude2

surferdude2

Sounds like you had installed it before by using some media that came with it. You lose all user installed software when you reinstall the system cleanly.

You can't just copy an installed software from another computer and expect it to work properly. It needs to be installed unless you know that it is a "stand alone" type of software. Installing is how things get listed in the "Add/Remove" list of Windows and the Desktop shortcut gets created.. It's also how all the support files get installed and the Registry support commands get entered.

5. majorevie

majorevie Thread Starter

I had to try something, Being that the device is ok, which it is, i'm online with it right now, tech support wont help me (virgin mobile).when i bought the device it worked fine, when i plugged it into this desktop it works fine.after i wiped the hard drive on my laptop i wont work properly.the laptop reads the device in the task bar area,but will not connect to their web site like its supposed to,taskbar tells me it may not work properly,which it dont, its driving me mad. maybe i have to catch up on all the updates from microsoft, something is missing or i have a bad setting, i appreciate your patience

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!