1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reinstalled windows, will not reboot after installing drivers

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by darron, Sep 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. darron

darron Thread Starter

After the fresh install, will boot, but in the System, Hardware Device Mgr, Numerous yellow question marks. They are:
    Multimedia Audio Controller
    OtherPCI Bridge Device
    PCI Memory Controller
    SM Bus Controller

I can get rid of them by installing the drivers on the CD which came w/ the MoBo, but it says have to reboot to take effect. When I do,
    New MoBo & CPU & video card & mem, so reformatted HD & did complete reinstall. When I reboot, a blue screen pops up before windows loads. It is gone so fast, I cannot read it. The only way can load windows is "Last good config..." Can't even load safe mode.

If I load the drivers & do not reboot, everything appears normal & everthying works. This is the only way I can access internet via Network Interface Card.

There is a note in FAQ's for this MoBo "Why will the system hang or fail to boot after installed the SW IDE Driver when using a dual core CPU under Window XP/2000? " which has updated drivers, which I loaded even though not dual core.

The XP Home I have is pre-SP1, so did slipstream including SP2. Thanks BYTEMAN for pointing me to website w/ info on how to do this.

I've done validation by internet & by telephone to Microsoft & tried reinstall several times.

I have seen no message indicating win is not validated or not working except the reboot not working. Is there any way to find out if XP is fully validated & should be working? Anything else I can look at?

I'm stuck

ABIT AN8 SLI, Socket 939
    1GB DDR
    AMD 64 3200+
    Leadtek Winfast PX6200 TC TDH PCI Express 64MB on board
    MB has "Audiomax 7.1 daughter card that plugs into a PCIe1
    DVD ROM
    DVD R/RW
    3.5 floppy
    XP Home - OEM

2. darron

darron Thread Starter

If no ideas on this, does anyone know how to slow the boot process so I can see what is on the blue screen that flashes just before the win logo that kicks it out to the safe mode, last good config, etc screen?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/402722