1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reinstalled Windows XP and drivers..internet doesn't work

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by leahleah, Aug 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. leahleah

leahleah Thread Starter

Dell Vostro 1500.

A few weeks ago, I received a blue screen of death that would not get off my computer. I had the Windows Antivirus Pro Virus that would not go away. I am going to school tomororw and needed this off my computer. So I decided to wipe the hard drive clean with the Dell CDs that came with this purchase. I downloaded Windows XP and some of the drivers. Some of the drivers that i tried to download say they downloaded but then do not come up. Broadcom440x10/100 is saying the network cable is unplugged, I have no idea what that means and internet will not work. What can I do manually to make this work?

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Right-click MY COMPUTER, click Properties - Hardware - Device Manager, then click the + in Network Adapters.

What's listed for the description?

Click the "Driver" tab.

What's listed for the driver name and version?

-------------------------------------------------------------

Is a double monitor icon present in the taskbar with a red X?

Are you using XP Home or XP Pro or XP Media Center?

--------------------------------------------------------------

3. leahleah

leahleah Thread Starter

i clicked on the device manager and the newtwork adapters say 1394 net adapter and broadcom 440x10/100 integrated controller and they both have a green sign next to them. the driver name for one is the 1394 and its version 5.1.2535.0 and its provided by Microsoft. The broadcom one is version 4.60.0.0 and yes there is a double monitor sign with a red x

4. leahleah

leahleah Thread Starter

also i am using windows xp home

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    OK, this is what we have so far:

The Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller has the most current driver version 4.60.0.0 installed and shows in the Device Manager as working properly.

There is a double monitor icon in the taskbar to show the connection status.

There is a "network cable is unplugged" warning with a red X on the double monitor icon.

What this usually indicates is that the CAT5 cable that is connected between the broadband modem(or the router if one is being used) and the computer is not properly connected or is defective. Do you have a spare CAT5 cable that you can try?

---------------------------------------------------------------

This is the driver download from the Dell Vostro 1500 site. It won't hurt to reinstall it.

---------------------------------------------------------------

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/856266

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice