1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reinstalled Windows XP - drivers missing

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dmcwho, Apr 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmcwho

dmcwho Thread Starter

My OS recently crashed (config corrupt or missing) and I was unable to fix it with the standard copy / repair instructions since the windows\repair\system file was missing. Recovery panel was of no help. And when I attempted to do an in-place installation, but it kept hanging when it got to the 35 minute mark. I deleted antivirus software and attempted again, to no avail. During the hanging, I was able to use f10 to get to a dos prompt, which allowed me to launch the files and settings transfer wizard. I copied everything I thought was important to a newly purchased hard drive.

One I had copied everything I possibly thought I could need, I did a new install. I was able to load Microsoft Office without any issues, and able to load AOL and connect using a dial up connection. When I attempted to set up the Verizon DSL, I ran into problems. When I use control panel to go to Network Connections - there isn't anything there. Completely empty. Verizon told me to call Dell and ask them to reinstall the nic card / ethernet connection. I also noticed that I do not have sound on the computer anymore. When on the phone with Dell I discovered they had not included the "driver and utility delldimension resource cd" when the shipped it to me, and it's no longer available.

Do you know what drivers I need to download from Dell's site and how to set up the network connections so that I can get DSL working?

How about for sound? I've only had the new OS up and running for about two hours, so I have no idea what else I'm going to find missing.

Are there other drivers that should be contained on that disk that I need?

I truly appreciate any help that you can offer.

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Even though the CD is not available, you might try going to Dell's site to download the drivers.

Another possibility is to find out the manufacturer of the sound card and network card and download from their site.

3. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

how did you do the repair, with a recovery cd?
    however, it sounds like the repair didn't work and i'm not sure if it was on the old or new hard drive.

you copied everything and then did the install, of xp?

if a recovery cd was used, i'd recommend formatting and doing a clean install, removing/creating partitions before formatting ntfs.
    the recovery cd should take it back to original config, unless you've changed/added hardware.

you have enuff issues of stuff not working that it may be the best way out, saving what you can and reinstalling all the apps.

verizon tech support should be able to give you the paprticulars to setup internet/email.:cool:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/459172

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice