1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

reinstalled windows xp, now drivers missing

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kookiethekat, Jul 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kookiethekat

kookiethekat Thread Starter

Hi all

I have tried to find these myself on the interenet but it all seems to be trial or just so confusing I have no idea what I am doing. I am hoping someone can help.

I did a clean reinstall of windows xp prof SP2 and everything is ok but the drivers for the following things are missing.

AMD Athlon XP 2400+

Ethernet connection driver
    Multi Audio Contoller driver and
    SM bus controller.

I know the ethernet is important as I cannot connect to the internet on my pc anymore lol. Can someone please point me in the right direction

Thank you

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You made the mistake of not having the current drivers for the display adapter, sound device, network adapter, and chipset burned off to a CD-R before you did a fresh install of XP.

A XP install will rarely install the drivers for all the devices in a computer. That's why you want to have them available before you start.

And I'll bet that you don't even know the description of the sound device and network adapter in that computer so we can assist you in getting the drivers for them.

If it's a known factory brand computer, what's the brand name, model name, and model number of it?

------------------------------------------------------------------

The processor description indicates it's a pretty old computer.

The specs in the icon next to your username shows 256 MB of RAM. I hope that computer has more than that.

------------------------------------------------------------------

3. kookiethekat

Oh god, no and no. It was prompting me to insert the Nforce MCP Networking controller driver disc when I was installing windows - is that it?

God I hope so

4. kookiethekat

I reinstalled as i couldnt boot into windows and a friend suggested a fresh instal was the best way.

It said NVIDIA as well if that helps

5. kookiethekat

Oh no thats an old computer, its running 1 gig not 256

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Using an actual XP CD to install XP doesn't prompt you to insert a driver CD. You must've used some other CD. What does it say on that CD?

----------------------------------------------------------------

You haven't answered my previous question. What's the brand name, model name, and model number of that computer?

-----------------------------------------------------------------

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/842275

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice