1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

reinstalled XP, got a problem.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Bumbledor, Jul 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bumbledor

Bumbledor Thread Starter

XP got corrupted.. it kept not saving my view settings, on my folders, amongst other things.

I tried loading the xp setup disk, and did a repair.. it did not solve it..

So i did a full reinstall, and told it to overwrite the existing windows directory.

Heres the problem..
    in my document settings, I have 2 sets of files now..
    an example is:

Allusers
    allusers.windows.

And the program did not do a scan to see if I had any existig software already installed.
    So I had to reinstall a lot of software, even though it was clearly on the drive under programs.

Should I do a backup of my other 3 drives and then do a format/reinstall?

Also, is there a way to back up my mail program settings for outlook express? So that I don't loose anything i have in folders?

And one file thing.. Contact list.. How do I make it a non-shared list?

Thanks.

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

A reinstall of Windows creates a new fresh Registry, so most "installed" programs are no longer "installed". That's the way it works.

OE is backed up/restored in this manner:
    http://www.iopus.com/guides/oe-backup.htm

3. rainforest123

rainforest123

Open OE.
    Help > contents & index >"index" tab
    sharing: Note

If you drag a contact to the Shared Contacts folder, you have moved it, and it no longer exists in the original folder. You can make a copy of the contact information for your folder, but changes there will not be reflected in the Shared Contacts folder or vice versa.
    The Address Book automatically contains two identity folders: the Main Identity's Contacts folder and a folder that allows you to share contacts with other identities—the Shared Contacts folder. Neither of these folders can be deleted (although folders for additional identities will appear as new identities are created).
    You can make a contact available to the other identities by putting it in the Shared Contacts folder. You can create a new contact in the shared folder, or you can share an existing contact by moving one of your contacts into the Shared Contacts folder.

RF123

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!