1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reinstalled XP kept old user + new user

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by BobBHZ, Jul 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BobBHZ

BobBHZ Thread Starter

Due to serious problems with XP, I opted to reinstall w/original CD assuming that install would clear everything and I would have to start from scratch w/user, files etc. Reinstall process went fine, no problems and apparently solved problem I had been having, i.e, extremely slow, using 100% CPU etc.

Howver, reviewing Documents and Settings I was surprised to see the following users:
    Adminstrator
    Administrator.Dad
    Bob
    Bob.Dad
    Mom

Note: Computer name is " Dad"
    Note: All my former files are intact in the "Bob.Dad" user, but not in the new "Bob" user
    Note: Control Panel > Users, lists only the user "Bob" and "Mom" which I created during reinstall.
    Note: There is NOT a " Mom.Dad" user in Documents and Settings

Apparently XP reinstall was nice enough to keep files and just reinstalled the OS, deleting all programs which had to be reinstalled.

Question 1: Since users "Bob" and "Bob.Dad" seem to be redundent, one can be deleted. Which one??
    Question 2: Since "Administrator" and "Administrator.Dad" also seem to be redundent can I delete one? Which??

PC specs:
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2180 @ 2.00GHz, x86 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 13
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 2038 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family, 384 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 152617 MB, Free - 88867 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., P5K-VM
    Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Can you actually login to Bob.Dad? Not likely. :) So, make sure you copy any files you want, and then delete Bob.Dad and Administrator.Dad. Think I ended up with that mess once years ago and could delete most files but not those particular folders. After that time I've made sure to format the partition before installing to make sure it's a "clean" install.

3. BobBHZ

BobBHZ Thread Starter

OK & tks .... what about the folders in Documents and Settings:
    All Users
    All Users.Windows
    Can/should I delete All Users.Windows ?

Documents and Settings, before XP reinstall
    Adminstrator
    All Users
    Bob
    Mom

Documents and Settings, after XP reinstall
    All Users
    All Users.Windows (redundent? delete??)
    Adminstrator
    Administrator.Dad (redundent, you suggest to delete)
    Bob
    Bob.Dad (redundent, you suggest to delete)
    Mom

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

You should be OK deleting those three folders that you marked as "redundent" [redundant], For safety with these or anything about which you are not positive you can just move them to the Recycle Bin or (better) move them somewhere else where Windows won't be looking for them. If you have no trouble for whatever period of time you think adequate then delete them.

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I suggest you actually format the drive and reinstall. What you did was an install over the top. Nothing clean about it.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1063096