Reinstalled XP - now says my data drive is empty?!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bungalo bill

Um..
Other than it being a general piece of ..., anybody know specifically why XP would be telling me my data drive is empty? :eek:

To clarify, I have two physical drives, one 40gb and one 80gb, with the 40gb usually partitioned for Windows, games, and temp, and the 80gb for storing music and all the stuff I don't want Windows screwing up/corrupting.

Well, I just backed up all the stuff I needed off the 40gb one onto the 80gb one and reinstalled Windows and set some of that drive aside for Ubuntu, and now the stupid thing isn't seeing anything on my data drive...
Says roughly 60mb used space instead of the 60gb or so that should be on there, and is only showing one folder "System Volume Information", which I can't seem to access and which shows as 0 bytes, so the 60mb doesn't even make sense.

Could it be because it decided to change the drive letters for some reason during the reformatting?
I did double check to make sure I was reformatting the correct drive before installing, btw.
But it screwed everything up and now Windows is on E: and my data drive changed from F: to D: and blah blah.

I don't see how the data could have actually been erased, but stranger things have happened, I guess, but I think it must still be there and stupid XP just isn't seeing it.
If it's gone... well, I'm not going to kill myself or anything, but the thought has occured to me.
Lots of irreplaceable stuff that I hadn't backed up onto CD, seeing as I figured having duplicate copies on separate HDD would suffice.
I should have physically removed the drive before reinstalling like I'd considered, but oh well.

So.. yeah.
Any ideas? :confused:

Oh, it's XP Home, not Pro, if that matters, and I've yet to install Ubuntu in the other partition on the drive with XP.

Any help would be immensely appreciated and I'd consider naming my first child after you.

Without knowing exactly what steps you followed, it's pretty hard to say. But it seems fairly clear that you're scr*wed. It's always a good idea to write down your plan before you begin so that a) you will have considered it carefully, and b) you and others can reconstruct the problem if there is one.

No first-born naming required.

bungalo bill

It was just my secondary IDE drive set as slave.
I've never done any network stuff on here.
All I ever did was stick it in and hook it up and get Windows to see it, just like my burner.

As far as what steps I took and a plan, I just followed the XP installation CD to do a new install, which worked the first time, and I could still see all the data on my other drive.
But I discovered it had installed over the top of the old install, leaving all the old program files and everything else that didn't get written over, which is not what I wanted.
So I tried again and I believe I went the "Repair Previous Installation" or whatever route and formatted the C drive from the command prompt or whatever to get rid of all the previous installation.
Then I think I rebooted to the installation CD and that's when I noticed the drive letters had changed and my F: was now D:, which I thought odd, but I did what it said to install on the empty drive where I wanted it.

That any help?

crjdriver

It sounds like you inadvertently formatted the drive. If that is in fact the case, you can SOMETIMES recover files. It will require data recovery software in order to do this.

bungalo bill

I don't understand how that could have happened.
I'm 100% certain I didn't select the data drive to format, and it never asked me about doing anything to any other drives during formatting or installation.

Not sure if I should paste this or link to it, but some more info can be found about my problem in this topic I made another forum where I work.

Ermm.. ok, I guess the url is filtered. :rolleyes:
Paste, it is..

Go ahead and install Ubuntu. If the data is still there, when you mount the drive onto your Linux Filesystem, Ubuntu will be able to read it.
dont do that just yet. first off, when u purchased the 2nd hard drive did u receive a CD with it? u should have. even though it should be plug and play, the Hard drives still need specifc drivers to read them as either your main drive with windows on it, or just additional space. im guessing u have IDE HD's rather than SATA drives.

if u dont have the CD for the 2nd HD, checkout the makers website and look for downloadable EXE's or install drivers to recognise it.
Pretty sure I don't have a CD for the drive, which almost certainly means I didn't get one.
It's apparently a Western Digital: WDC WD800JB-00DUA3
Off to look at their site..

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=32

Hmm.
Downloaded some stuff and I'll see what happens, if anything.

Just downloaded TweakUI though and tried to run it and I get this:

:/

Maybe my XP installation is just [censored].
Sorry for the uncropped pic, but I don't have my gfx stuff on yet and don't know how use Paint. :eek:

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online