1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reinstalling 98 on older systems

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by CEV, Sep 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CEV

CEV Thread Starter

Hi, not exactly sure which forum to put this in, so thought I would try this one. I am reinstalling Win98 on 5 different older machines that have no discs with them. What is the easiest way to find audio, video, and network drivers for these machines? Some are integrated and some are not. Is there maybe a utility I can run on these that will tell me what to look for as far as drivers are concerned? Would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,

CEV

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Your post is a little confusing. What do you mean by "they have no discs in them"?

Are these computers functional? If so, what operating system is currently installed?

What are the CPU speeds and amount of RAM in each computer?

3. CEV

CEV Thread Starter

Sorry, I mean they have no driver cd's with them. There is no os currently installed. They are older, like Celeron 400 and Pentium II 350.

Thanks,

Chad

4. LINKUP20GS

LINKUP20GS

first install your operating systems and see what is picked up. and go from there There is a utility you can use and I will post the link in a bit somethings come up gotta git.

5. pedroguy

pedroguy

CEV;In addition while you are waiting,it might be a good idea to make a list of all the peripherals,printers,scanners,burners,etc,that you intent to attached to your systems.That should include make and model # of the peripheral,and see if those products have a web site.If so,go there and see if there are any downloadable drivers for your specific device and OS.If there are any instructions as to how they should be installed,print them for future reference.Might save you some time later,either in this install or any future re-install

6. LINKUP20GS

LINKUP20GS

Here you go this is freeware and its pretty darn good. it will tell you everything but your shoe size. it's called pc wizard 2004 small download quick and easy install. I'm out.

http://www.cpuid.com/pcw.php

7. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Do not connect a printer, scanner, or any other peripheral to your computer until you get the Windows operating system installed. Just connect the tower, monitor, keyboard, and mouse for now.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/275464

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice