1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reinstalling drivers after a format

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Topazz, Nov 24, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Topazz

Topazz Thread Starter

I am preparing for my first reformat of my Pent II 266 with Win 98 first ed. I did my old machine a year ago and because the sound, video and some other settings have never been the same since, I want to make sure I get it absolutely right on this machine and find out how before I start!

Right then, the CD-ROM that came with my PC appears to contain untold driver files and exes that I believe (hope) can't possibly all be necessary to reinstall on my Win98 machine after I format it.

One example: in the Modem folder I have folder #1 Dun 12b containing one file msdun12b.exe and folder #2 Dynalink v5.1 containing 7 various folders and 3 inf files. How on earth am I going to sort out what I should be reinstalling for my modem? Will Win98 do it for me automatically upon setup? (I don't trust it)

Another example: the Video Card folder contains folders for ATI Rage Pro turbo, Cirrus Logis AGF, Matrox Millennium II, Permedia 2 AGP, S3 VBE, S3 TrioV2 and S3Virge PCI -- do they all have to be installed, and if not, how will I know WHICH to install?!

This is all rather scary and I'd really appreciate it if someone could please give me some tips/pointers on how to find out what I need to know of the essentials before F-Day?

Thank you!

2. Dan O

Dan O

Don't be scared, it only a dumb computer and you have us to back you up.

Windows 98 generally does not need real device drivers from the manufacture, it uses virtual devices drivers that it install automatically. It's all part of Plug-and-Play.

You don't need Dun 12b or msdun12b.exe. Windows will try to setup the modem automatically but may ask the location of your setup modem file, which are in the folder Dynalink v5.1 containing 7 various folders and 3 inf files. It's looking for the .INF files. If Windows does not automatically discovers your modem. You can use Add New Hardware in the Control Panel and give the location of Dynalink with the .INF files, it is not hard.

No you don't all the Video Card folders contains folders for ATI Rage Pro turbo, Cirrus Logis AGF, Matrox Millennium II, Permedia 2 AGP, S3 VBE, S3 TrioV2 and S3Virge PCI. But don't delete them until you get your PC working properly. As to which video card you have can be determined by viewing the hardware list during a power on, watch closely. Windows should discover it correctly and automatically set it up. If it picks the wrong driver you will have few colors available, such as 16 colors not enough for web site viewing. To correct it, go into Device Manager within System in the Control Panel and select update drivers and pick the correct video. The Windows 98 CD has the drivers needed for most video card, but if it does not your's point Windows the folder where they are or you can download the latest from the vendor's web site. So you see it is not that scary as you thought, you can do it. Good luck.

3. Topazz

Topazz Thread Starter

Thank you Dan, I feel a bit more confident now. Once I have finished backing up all my data (man, there's way more there than I thought there was!!) and taken a few more notes, then I'll take the plunge. The most important job is getting back online to ask more questions here if I need to!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!