Reinstalling Drivers After Reinstalling XP

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jfk1232

I need to reformat and reinstall Windows XP on my Dell Dimension 8200, which is about 5 year old. It is my understanding that first you reinstall XP and then you have to reinstall the drivers. I am not sure how to reinstall the drivers.

When I ordered my computer from Dell, it came with things like a monitor, printer, speakers, video card, and sound card.

The computer also came with a cd that is labeled "Drivers and Utilities". The cd is also labeled "Dell Dimension ResourceCD for Reinstalling Device Drivers and Using Diagnostics, Utilities, and Online Documentation".

Will this cd install all of the necessary drivers for all of the hardware that came with my computer? For instance, my video card is a NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420. Will the cd have the drivers for this, or will it only have some sort of generic video drivers?

If the cd does have all the necessary drivers, how do I use it to actually install them? Do I just click some button and the cd will automatically install all the necessary drivers?

Last, is there some program I can use that will make copies of my already existing device drivers so that I can use them as a last resort.

daz1

Banned
almost all of the drivers for the computers hardware will be in the xp instaallation and will automatically install,some are on the dell cd,when u load the dell cd there is a utility to scan for your drivers and install from the cd,after all done do a free scan from somewhere like driveragent to see how out of date they are

Here is the link to the Mfgr's Driver page for your model.
Code:
http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&ServiceTag=&SystemID=DIM_PNT_P4_8200&os=WW1&osl=en&catid=&impid=
Drivers are usually the worst part of doing a reinstallation. As previously mentioned the driver disk that came with your machine should get it up to snuff. The Mfgr's website should have more current versions though. The Device Mgr. On your computer should tell you what drivers are currently installed. That is where I usually start. Hope this helps.

when you install the Dell Resource CD you'll get a Installation menu to choose the drivers for your system, you'll have to confirm the installation path and the drivers will be installed automatically.

for your nVidea video card i strongly recommend to use the latest Forceware drivers for legacy cards (v 94.24) ... the nvidia drivers on your dell cd are hopelessly outdated.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_94.24_2.html

jfk1232

So the utilities cd should scan my computer and present me with a list of drivers to install?

Aren't the drivers supposed to be installed in a certain order like chipset first, then video. How do I know which drivers are which, so I can install them in the right order? For instance, how do I know which drivers are the chipset drivers and which drivers are the video drivers? Will the utilities cd tell me the right order to install them?

Is there a website that gives detailed information on how to use the utilities cd?

The order of driver installation is not important. Getting rid of the yellow question marks in the device mgr. is your objective. :)

well, the order of the driver installation can be important in certain scenarios. some sound drivers won't work if the chipset driver is not installed.

the dell CD Menu lists all drivers (recommended and optional), use the recommended drivers only starting with the chipset drivers, the optional drivers are usually for components that have been chosen to upgrade the original system configuration when you bought the computer.

tony007

Banned
Dont know why this post is to big for my screen very difficult to read so I'll leave it alone.

jfk1232

Basically, are the video card, sound card, network card, modem, and printer about the only drivers I will need to install? Or, are there other more complicated drivers I will have to find?

Put the Dell Dimension ResourceCD in your CD drive and if it doesn't start automatically click on AUTORCD.EXE. It will show you all the drivers on there.

When you go to install the drivers after the Windows install it will have a check mark next to the exact drivers you need to install, it couldn't be easier. Install the chipset driver first and then the rest of them.

you will not find printer drivers on the DELL resource CD 'Drivers & Utilities', even if the printer was purchased from DELL bundled with the computer, they are shipped on a separate CD.

jfk1232

Does the chipset usually have to be installed? When I go to the Download Drivers page on the Dell website, it doesn't have any drivers listed under the chipset category. Does that mean I don't have to install the chipset because maybe the Windows XP installation did?

Hi,
I have Dell as well, but it's a laptop. The chipset is very important, if you don't have them, then you will encounter problems. The Resource CD (Drivers & Utilities CD) has drivers and other files necessary for your particular model, and not necessarily files that are specific for your particular computer. You would have to find out what kind of hardware you have. Also keep in mind that any hard ware that you've added to your computer will not be on the CD.
There is a definite order in which you must install the drivers. Not sure if this is the case for all other brands, but with Dell, you do have to install in a specific order. There is info on the Support page at Dell webiste. Here is a link:
http://support.dell.com/support/top...1A0C0937D62A8739E0401E0A55174744&l=en&s=dhs#1
Also, if you go to the Downloads and Drivers page, and put in your service tag, you will see a list of downloads that can be applied to your model, but not specific to your particular computer. Also, you would have the latest updates to the drivers. The important thing for your right now is to figure out what your hard ware is, install those, and if you choose to install the updates, then install them after the "original" drivers that came with your computer. To figure out which are updates, look at the date in which the file was created. If it was created after you got your system, then it will likely be an update. Good luck,

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts