reinstalling drivers?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ms_khw

I'm about to reformat an old computer. No problem with the reformat, but I'm a little confused when it comes to installing the audio, sound, ethernet drivers. My disk contains more than one for each of these, therefore I don't know which one to use. My OS is XP. After the reformat can I just go to the device manager and select update manager, set location to the cd?

Hi,

Once you have formatted...you should install the chipset driver first...this sort of configures all the other drivers to install correctly....i then normally do the audio and graphics and ethernet...im not sure just how important those are in any particular order as i have not had any problems doing it that way....just make sure the chipset goes in first!

Once xp is installed, either load the disc on autoplay or via "my computer"...just click on the cd icon...you should then be able to choose what drivers you wish to download

Dont forget the windows updates...they will be automatic and will probably take ages

ms_khw

Yes, I forgot to mention the chipset. I know it goes first, but thanks for the reminder. :) So, I should be able to go to device manager and just select update drivers in the order that you have mentioned? Is this correct?

You can load the drivers off the disc and your system will work fine,in the order i mentioned Yes, if you want to try and update these drivers you can try the device manager

It may be better though to go to the device makers website (such as realtek) where you can best find the drivers you want

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online