Reinstalling DV drivers for Handycam

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

SonofFunk

Windows is freezing when I try to select my Handycam HC30 mini DV cam thru firewire for capture, until I unplug the device. Actually, first it'll say "cannot locate" a vid-cap device, but then after a bunch of time it'll kinda find it, but then just chokes trying to interface; locking up the system until unplug.

This problem has been happening since I did a fresh install of XP SP2, whereas before on the identical machine and platform it worked fine (reinstalled due to a corrupted boot sector).

I think the root problem may be that the PnP drivers Windows installed got corrupted when installed (a bubble at lower right said there may be problems with the installation). There don't seem to be custom drivers for this cam, nor are there any removable devices that I can see in device manager, so if someone can help me figure out how to remove this device (or other fix I'm not thinking of) so that I can try fresh again, that'd help alot.

FYI: The device does make the appropriate sound when you plug it in or out, and it still works w/same cable on a mac.

Have you checked the device manager as you plug in the device? Usually this will show you what is trying to load and will even give you a ! on the items that have a problem.

I know that Sony Handycam's do not require any special drivers loaded other than windows ones for firewire... (Since I got on their case about not supplying x64 usb drivers for my Handycam).

Maybe the correct firewire device drivers for the card itself is not working... have you plugged anything else firewire into this PC?

Is this an onboard or add-in PCI firewire card? What is the make/model?

SonofFunk

Thanks for the reply. I can't see any additional devices appear in device mgr when I plug DV in. I don't have any other firewire devices to try or access to any. The firewire is an integrated controller on my ASUS nForce2 based mobo. (side note: curiously, the firewire port in back seems dead, only the one in front, the only i've tried so far, is active -- i don't really feel like poking around inside the case to see if anything's loose, but it is interesting whether this is related)

No device conflicts show in the device mgr anywhere. Other thoughts?

side note: curiously, the firewire port in back seems dead, only the one in front, the only i've tried so far, is active
This is bizzare.... Have you loaded the ASUS nForce2 drivers? You can find the make/model on the www.asus.com site and download right from there. I believe its the chipset drivers you want to install..

If the onboard back port is not working I am wondering if your having MB hardware problems.... Have you checked your bios to ensure firewire is setup nd enabled and not on another shared resource that something else is on?

SonofFunk

Hard to tell about shared resources. I just checked CMOS, and the only firewire option is ONBOARD 1394 DEVICE: AUTO, or DISABLE. Obviously, there's no conflict reported by device manager for 1394 drivers (which seem to be generic windows anyway... I could try uninstalling and PnP reinstall on reboot).

As far as mobo drivers, don't think the mfr makes a specific driver set; I always use nVidia reference drivers anyway: they're the best driver writers in the world. I've been using the latest, and final, WHQC drivers, v5.10 which have been out for over a year: I could try reinstalling this driver set to but that's a bit..er..inelegant; hoping there's a quicker fix: the symptoms seem more likely driver corruption than hardware failure, discounting the rear port for the time being. You know how the little toolbox icon appears in the toolkit when you're first using an external device: I want to get back to this point to "reinstall"

SonofFunk

check that, not "toolkit" but "taskbar" i guess, or whatever you call the icons in the lower right next to the time display

You know how the little toolbox icon appears in the toolkit when you're first using an external device: I want to get back to this point to "reinstall"
To get to this point what you want to do is the following... Watch the Device manager as you plug in the device watch all of your drivers so have them all expanded to se all devices under them. Plug in the camera and see which one shows up It should say something like "Sony Handycam" highlight the one that appeared when you plugged it int (remember the handycam has to be on as well) right click and pick delete... this should make it so the next time you plug it in it tries to run the hardware wizard and all of that and you get the taskbar icon.

(I had figured you ment taskbar)

SonofFunk

device manager refreshes, but doesn't show any addition that I can see when I turn on/plug in DV device. No "sony", no "dv" no new devices show on the tree period.

SonofFunk

side note: there is one device that sits there whether anything's plugged in or not (which I assume is a driver that always sits there), under sound, etc. controllers, and that is "Legacy Video Capture Device". Frustratingly, it's not an uninstallable device. Even if you go to properties and try to remove the "WDM Video for Windows..." driver it uses it'll say required by system and do nothing anyway.

If it sits there while its not plugged in it could be on your video card or some other device plugged in....

What kind of video card do you have? do you have any other video periphials plugged in I.E. webcam or anything else?

SonofFunk

not quite sure; I just assumed it's a standard windows driver that's always there, but maybe not. the vid card is a generic 128MB geforce FX 5200. I have no external peripherals besides kb/mouse

I am concerned about you not getting ANYTHING new in any device field... Every device that is firewire or USB auto loads and should show up in that list. I have yet to see any device that does not go into that tree.

The fact that it works on the MAC rules out bad cable or non functioning Handycam....

I really keep going back to hardware on this one...

Hopefully someone else here has some other ideas as you successfully have me stumped.

SonofFunk

well after repeating the on/off enough, i finally get the sony dv to appear under new category: imaging devices. i unstinall fine, reboot; the driver seems to install ok. but the same problem occurs when i try to connect with movie maker: endless waiting.

Does the video show back correctly in My computer? You should have an imaging device showing there as well and should be able to see playback.. This tells you weather its an application problem or an OS problem.

SonofFunk

well, now i can't even get anything to show up in device mgr or the taskbar, so obviously nothing shows in my computer either. seem to be at square 1: starting to think it's hardware too now. i could try un/reinstalling the full mobo driver set, but i'd rather leave that as a last resort

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online