1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

reinstalling os 10

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by machv, Apr 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. machv

machv Thread Starter

where can i get a free download of mac os 10 for an ibook and a g4 laptop? I want to wipe the drives and reinstall the os's. i am having trouble finding them online. and also is there a recovery partition that i can use on the drive and how do i activate it? thanks

2. Yankee Rose

Yankee Rose

Hi there:

There are no "free downloads" of Apple's OS X. Like Windows, it is a product which to legally install on a system you must purchase and gain a license for.

Your best bet would be to determine what version of OS X your two systems can handle, and then purchase the versions outright. Everymac.com is an excellent site to determine your system specs. Use their handy Ultimate Mac Lookup by entering in your system SN and you'll see the maximum OS the system can handle. Check out their site sponsors or eBay for the best prices.

To reinstall OS X, you need the installation DVDs.

Hope that helps! :)

3. machv

machv Thread Starter

how can i get new copies of the installation disks?

4. Yankee Rose

Yankee Rose

Like I said ... check eBay or the site sponsors on Everymac.com. eBay might be your better bet. Good luck! :)

5. machv

machv Thread Starter

so even though the system has an os on it i still have to buy copies of the os that came with the computer?

6. Yankee Rose

Yankee Rose

Yes - if you do not have the original installation DVDs that came with the systems. That's the only way you can reinstall the OS.

If I may ask - why do you want to reinstall the OS's?

7. machv

machv Thread Starter

because i am helping a friend who just bought the computers and they want to reinstall everything from scratch

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917742

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice