1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reinstalling to a different computer

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by alankearn, Jul 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. alankearn

alankearn Thread Starter

I bought a new Packard Bell 98se computer in 1999 It packed up working late last year and I replaced it with a new XP Dell inspiration 3000 pc. Early this year I was given a old Dellv400c computer base unit and and a friend managed to change the hard drive (with all the old information on it) from the from the old Packard bell into the old Dell v400 and up till recently it work OK. This 98se set up I keep as a spare, but it does freeze up occasionally when I connect it to the internet (to keep my ISP account open).I still have the original floppy startup disk and the two 98se Master recovery/re installation disks and the 25 digit key number that came with the original Packard Bell computer.Is it possible to use these disks from the Packard Bell to reinstall win 98se into the old Dell v400 because I have heard talk that it is not possible because the disks will not recognize the dell motherboard and refuse to install into the Dell.

Thanks

2. Foamer

Foamer Guest

I would look at the 98SE disk first to see if it has Packard Bell written on it.
    I do know a standard 98SE CD will work in a Dell because I have installed one before.
    But...
    I had to look at the Dell computer version... MBoard hardware and chipset to see what drivers I would need...
    Then I had to burn a CD with all the Dell drivers I got from the Dell web site.

So regardless of what you have told it can be done.
    Just as long as your pre-prepared with Dell drivers ahead of time.

3. alankearn

alankearn Thread Starter

Thanks for your answer and yes it does have Packard Bell on the disks

4. alankearn

alankearn Thread Starter

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/488012

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice