1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

reinstalling using an XP OEM

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by novicebob, Jul 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. novicebob

novicebob Thread Starter

hello. I am trying to reinstall XP on a PC. unfortunately the reinstall CD has been lost, and all I can find to replace it is an XP OEM CD. (seems like MS had all copies of XP returned when shipping Vista - which I can't use as the PC is used by an accountant and Vista & Sage are not yet working in harmony - as I couldn't find one anywhere on Tottenham Ct Rd today.) anyway, when I boot up from the CD I am not given the option of formatting the HD beforehand - it automatically begins downloading files and that hasn't worked out at all. lots of dll's missing, apparently. I reckon I'd be okay if I could figure out a way to format first and then boot up from the CD, but have had no luck trying this via the dos prompt (accessed via start/run/c:\dos) I keep getting the message that I have to unmount the disk first, but don't know what this means. my efforts thus far have made what was a bad situation even worse, so any advice will be v gratefully received. how do I format my c: drive - and if I do, will the OEM disk do the trick? thanks.

bob.

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Welcome to TSG....

Actually no this at best is not the correct way to go. You have a key code that is for one install disk and you want to use it on another which out side will not work it is illegal also.

Please to read the rules here at TSG.

http://www.techguy.org/rules.html

3. novicebob

novicebob Thread Starter

I'm not entirely sure what your message means ("...you want to use it on another which is outside..." outside what?,) but I was sold the disk today - it came sealed and hasn't been used. What have I done wrong?

4. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

What you want to do actually will not work the key codes that are made for the versions of windows will only work with that particular install disk it is a bit difficult to explain but it is sort of like trying to open a lock with the wrong key. When going thru the installation eventually the install is going to have to be authenticated and with the wrong key code it will not authenticate. Basically what you are doing is wrong and according to Microsoft slightly illegal. You would be better off going out and purchasing a new install disk and installing it.

5. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

6. novicebob

novicebob Thread Starter

I'm still not sure what you mean, but accept your advice that I am doing something wrong. does this mean the retailer who sold me the CD have committed an illegal act? meanwhile, thanks for the link. the only reason I didn't order a cd on-line is because time is of the essence and I needed to fix the PC by tomorrow when my account next visits.

7. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Well if you purchased an OEM disk with the proper key code then there is nothing wrong. The first psot does not actually explain that in that way. Just take the OEM disk and install it on the dell, at most you might need to do to Dell and download the special drivers for the chipset, buss, network and others just burn to a cd and install and this is after the windows is installed.

Sorry for the miss-understanding.

8. tony007

tony007 Banned

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!