1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reinstalling Win Me and SU0013 error

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by David McKeal, Feb 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. David McKeal

David McKeal Thread Starter

I am trying to reinstall Win Me, by deleting my registry files and then doing reinstall from CD Rom, but I continually get a SU0013 error, which usually indicates EZ-Bios is installed or there is a problem with Norton AV and its realtime file scanning feature. I do not think that is the case for me. I originally let Win Me format my 40 Gig HD without using outside software and see no indication of EZ-Bios on bootup. I have not only uninstalled Norton but also have gone thru the tedious job of manually uninstalling it by following Symantec's 8 page instruction for removing it from the registry. I am running Go Back 3.0 but disable it before trying the reinstall and have even uninstalled it prior to trying the Me reinstall. I am also running McAfee AV (7.0 Professional) and have disabled its realtime scanning but have not tried to uninstall it before reinstalling Win Me. Can anyone help me run down the source of the SU0013 error?

Just for added info, I have three HDs installed and use Drive Image to keep one of the drives inactive (This is my old C drive and is configured as the Primary master...boot drive is Primary slave and of course the BIOS is configured to boot from that HD). I am not running NTFS on any drives and all drives have only a single partition.

2. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Hi David,
    This is from the MS Knowledge base. It may help.
    Error SU0013
    Setup could not create files on your startup drive and cannot set up Windows. If you have HPFS or Windows NT file system, you must create an MS-DOS boot partition. If you have LANtastic server or SuperStor compression, disable it before running Setup. See SETUP.TXT on Setup Disk 1 or the Windows CD-ROM.
    You may receive this error message if you install Windows 95 over Windows 95 OSR2 and you are using the FAT32 file system on your hard disk. You may also receive this error message if you are running EZ Drive and you have the Floppy Boot Protection option enabled in EZ Drive. To resolve this behavior, disable the Floppy Boot Protection option in EZ Drive.

3. David McKeal

Thanks for the response. I don't think any of the possible causes apply to me. I'm not running EZ Drive or NT etc. Is there anyway to attempt to isolate the problem? Originally, I set up the new 40 Gig drive by copying the old 8 Gig using Drive Image. As far as I know though, the 8 Gig drive was not set up using EZ Drive either. My understanding is that EZ Drive (EZ Bios?...the same?) is indicated in the bootup messages when restarting. According to Western Digital EZ Drive Installation instructions, "EZ-Bios: Initializing..." shows up on the screen during a reboot. If not, then Western Digital says EZ Drive is not installed.

4. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

That is what keeps poping up in my searches. There is no NTFS formatted partition??
    Are you using an upgrade cd or full version?

5. David McKeal

I'm, using an upgrade CD that I have already installed once before. I had run across a tip from http://techtips4u.com/ostt/installsafe.htm that indicated you could solve a lot of crash problems by deleting the registry and then doing a fresh install. Unfortunately, I don't know how well it works because I can't get past the setup due to the SU0013 error. I wonder if it could have anything to do with my Drive Image installation or GoBack. I know that GoBack has to be disabled for lots of reasons including running Drive Image. Since it works like (and in fact replaces System Restore), could it efect the FAT setup? Just clutching at straws! Thanks again.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119325

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice