Reinstalling Win XP?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

rbulot

Hi folks, I am having some unexplainable but not fatal stops on my PC. I have run all of the virus scans, anti-spyware scans, registry scans and defragged. All of this has not changed anything. Someone I respect has suggested reinstalling Win XP. I understand this will not affect any of the applications on my system. Plus I have a complete system back-up.

I have my original XP Pro disk with SP1, not an upgrade and the XP SP2 disk. I presume I install both of these disks and then go to the Win update site to load the remaining updates. Does this make sense to you? Any other recommendations? Any pitfalls I need to be aware of?

Thanks, Richard

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
If you're planning to do a hard drive format and clean reinstall of Windows XP SP1 and then make the upgrade to Windows XP SP2, you appear to have both CD's to do it.

Boot from the Windows XP SP1 CD, delete the current C: partition, create a new C: partition, format the new C: partition with the NTFS file system, then install Windows XP SP1.

Once you're done and you're back in operation, insert the Windows XP SP2 and make the upgrade.

Once you're done, go to the Windows Updates site and start installing the critical updates. There'll likely be over 30 of them.

Prepare yourself to spend several hours to do this from start to finish. Good luck!(y)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

rbulot said:
Hi folks, I am having some unexplainable but not fatal stops on my PC. I have run all of the virus scans, anti-spyware scans, registry scans and defragged. All of this has not changed anything. Someone I respect has suggested reinstalling Win XP. I understand this will not affect any of the applications on my system. Plus I have a complete system back-up.

I have my original XP Pro disk with SP1, not an upgrade and the XP SP2 disk. I presume I install both of these disks and then go to the Win update site to load the remaining updates. Does this make sense to you? Any other recommendations? Any pitfalls I need to be aware of?

Thanks, Richard
Hi Richard,

I may be missing the point here.:confused: When you say "Reinstalling Win XP" do you mean that you are going to install it over the current version of Win XP? That is referred to as "Installing over the top".

Or, on the other hand do you mean you are going to format your HDD & do a "Clean Install"? If that is the case, it will wipe clean anything on the partition you have your O/S on. If you have a back-up of all you want to keep, you will only lose your programs, which will have to be re-installed & in the case of your AV & AS programs, it will mean updating.

You mention the SP2 CD, which will help if it is installed after you have you O/S installed. It does not contain the most recent updates so it will mean going to Windows Update to get those.

Might I ask if you have ever done a format & clean install?

Regards,

Hawk

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
You might consider slipstreaming SP2 onto that XP disk before you do the repair installation, it'll save you some additional work. Autostreamer makes the process painless.

rbulot

Hawk1 said:
Hi Richard,

I may be missing the point here.:confused: When you say "Reinstalling Win XP" do you mean that you are going to install it over the current version of Win XP? That is referred to as "Installing over the top".

Or, on the other hand do you mean you are going to format your HDD & do a "Clean Install"? If that is the case, it will wipe clean anything on the partition you have your O/S on. If you have a back-up of all you want to keep, you will only lose your programs, which will have to be re-installed & in the case of your AV & AS programs, it will mean updating.

You mention the SP2 CD, which will help if it is installed after you have you O/S installed. It does not contain the most recent updates so it will mean going to Windows Update to get those.

Might I ask if you have ever done a format & clean install?

Regards,

Hawk
Thanks guy I really appreciate your input. My intent was to do a "over the top" install. and not "clean" install. If that does not clear up my problems I would attempt a clean install. I did a clean install when I upgraded from ME. I purchased a full, not upgrade XP and installed a second, new, hard drive in my PC and went from there. I presume a clean install would be about the same except I would be refomatting my current HD.
Thanks again, Richard

rbulot said:
I purchased a full, not upgrade XP and installed a second, new, hard drive in my PC and went from there. I presume a clean install would be about the same except I would be refomatting my current HD.
Which HDD is XP on now? The current one or the new one? Do you have any partitions on either HDD?

When you do a format of a partition that your O/S is on, remember it will wipe it clean & just do a "Clean" install of the O/S. This will require you to also set up your programs again (Update for security ones as well) plus updates at Windows Update.

Regards,

Hawk

rbulot

Thanks Hawk, I understand and will proceed with cauition.
Richard

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online