1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reinstalling Windows 7 Problems

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by captharry, Feb 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. captharry

captharry Thread Starter

I'm trying to help a friend who's currently installed copy of Windows 7 comes up as 'not genuine'. I have bought a new OEM copy of Windows 7 (home premium 32 bit) and installed it as an upgrade. However, the new product code that came with the disc isn't being accepted as 'valid' either. The disc looks genuine (holograms etc) and the code is on a fancy label!

Should I try a fresh installation? Is the 'not valid' a hangover from the original installation? I don't want to clean the hard drive if I can avoid it as I'll lose all the settings and other programs although I have backed up the data.

Grateful for any advice, thanks

2. huggie54

huggie54

hiya,what os was on before the upgrade?

3. captharry

captharry Thread Starter

I think she was on Vista before someone did a suspect upgrade to Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit. I bought an OEM copy of Windows 7 HP 32 bit to hopefully fix it!

4. huggie54

huggie54

i do not think you can upgrade from a non-genuine version of windows,if you have all the data you require backed up i suggest you do a fresh format and install from the genuine disc

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you mean OEM as in Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc., it is not legit. Or do you mean a System Builder's?

Right click on Computer - Properties. At the extreme bottom of that window, beside the Product ID, is there a link for "Change product key"? If so, enter the new Product key to make sure that is the one being used.

The problem may be the "upgrade" type of install. Upgrading the "suspect" version may have left you/her with an installation that still looks "suspect." Which, is a long winded way of saying you may have to do a clean ("Custom") install.

6. captharry

captharry Thread Starter

The disc just says Windows 7 Home Premium. The label with the product key says OEM Software but no make of computer mentioned. I'll have to try a clean install I suppose!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088338

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice