1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reinstalling Windows 8 on a Tablet

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by SiriusCrack, Mar 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SiriusCrack

SiriusCrack Thread Starter

I want to reinstall Win8.1 on my tablet, an ASUS Transformer Book T200TA. I know that you can take the CD-Key of your already-installed Windows and download a copy of Windows and activate it using that CD-Key in the normal world of desktops, correct?

But, I recently tried to do this on my Gateway (Acer) laptop only to find that Acer had blocked my CD-Key from activation, according to the Microsoft support rep, and, according to the Acer support rep, the only way to restore my laptop is to search my model# at the store and purchase a recovery CD. Hell no. The reason I am reinstalling Windows is to get a clean slate without the bloatware.

Will the same thing happen on the ASUS tablet? Or was this an isolated case? I would like to know before completely reinstalling Win8.1 only to find i can't activate it (like what happened with my laptop).

Also, yes, I know Win8 has a built in factory recovery option, but that's filled with the bloatware that came with the PC as well, and one of the major reasons I'm doing this is so I can repartition the SSD in the tablet, something I can't do outside of the windows installation menu.

2. CleaverX

CleaverX

Unless you are willing to buy a retail copy of window, you must reinstall the OEM version provided by the manufacturer. Those do not require activation. Your activation key found under the device cannot be used to activate a retail version. Just reinstall the original software and uninstall the bloatware manually. In addition, the original installation may have a few useful applications that you would loose by installing a retail version.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I don't know anything about a "CD-Key", but if the tablet came with Windows 8 or 8.1 preinstalled you should be able to download a genuine version of 8.1 (or 8.1 Pro if applicable) and install it.

I said "should be able" but I cannot argue that CleaverX is wrong about this.

4. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Most of the OEM branded computers I have had to purchase recovery sets for, from XP on through windows 7 and 8, from online stores that provide some models and brands but NOT all....to the actual manufacturer's Tech Support area, as in your case, Acer- (Gateway) charge only about $18 to $28 for the kit sent to you. Gateway would be here if you wish to see:

http://us-store.gateway.com/category.aspx?catid=5

In the past it was possible to install a system builder OEM copy the same as your branded computer came with (like Home or Pro) but not so easy these days.

And the Product Key, which was on a label provided with the computer, would work but with windows 8, no label is provided on OEM machines....you do get one if you purchase a valid windows 8 that comes with a license, whether you download it from the Microsoft online partner site or from any other legal source.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1144771

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice