1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reinstalling Windows Millenium Problem

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by dottore11, Sep 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dottore11

dottore11 Thread Starter

Hi, I recently fdisked my c:/ drive and I was planning on reinstalling Millenium Edition, so that my laptop would be pretty much like new. Problem is, I have a compaq armada 7400 laptop, which has a removable cd bay and a floppy bay.. In other words, to reinstall Millennium, I need both the cd bay and the floppy at the same time normally. I know I can bypass this by modifying the BIOS of the laptop. I need help accessing the BIOS. Also, keep in mind I have to boot from a floppy just to get the computer to start. Thanks so much!

2. doggard

doggard

If you have another PC you can burn the ME OS and make it bootable CD if it not already then set the bios to boot from CD first.
    Compaq bios entry is F12 or F10 at the Compaq logo if I'm not mistaken.

3. dottore11

dottore11 Thread Starter

Ok, thanks, I'll try that. I do have a desktop with a burner.

4. dottore11

dottore11 Thread Starter

Not working.... To access the BIOS, do I have to have the boot floppy in?

5. dottore11

dottore11 Thread Starter

Also, could the BIOS have gotten deleted when I repartitioned and reformated the drive?

6. doggard

doggard

Looks like you need to reinstall the bios to the harddrive via a Rompaq follow this link and select the correct model number of your laptop.

7. dottore11

dottore11 Thread Starter

Thanks, I have downloaded the Rompaq and will attempt to reinstall the bios now.. Thanks for your help so far, I may post again though.

8. dottore11

dottore11 Thread Starter

The rompaq installation went fine, but I still cannot access the BIOS! I am pressing f10 at the Compaq screen. I also tried f12. Nothing... Am I overlooking something?

9. doggard

doggard

After looking further I beleve you press the key when the curser flashes in the right corner of the screen.

10. dottore11

dottore11 Thread Starter

k, I'll try

11. dottore11

dottore11 Thread Starter

I only see the cursor flashing when I have the boot disk inserted, and I try f10 and f12... nothing

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/274007

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice