1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reinstalling windows on a HP netbook

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by mabel2, Jan 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mabel2

mabel2 Thread Starter

I'm not sure this is the right forum for this question, but then again: lots of people seem to have comparable problems, so here goes:
    As my 3-year old netbook was getting very slow, I decided to get rid of all the junk at once by completely reinstalling the OS (Win7 starter). Now, there is a very easy way to this with the Recovery Manager (as described in the support papers on the HP site), but that didn't work for me. This may wll be due to a faulty HD; I've no way of testing it as my C: drive is now reformatted. So what next?
    I was not completely unprepared; earlier I made:
    - a USB-stick with the 'HP USB Recovery Flash Disk Utility' (HP45774). The stick does contain, I think, all or almost all of the contents of the recovery partition. (NB: you need a 16Gb stick and this is a trick you can do only once.)
    - a recovery CD on an external CD drive, although without a 'disk-image' as by then the system had grown much too bloated already. (should have done that straight away after I'd bought it, although I'm a bit at a loss as to what storage medium would be used).
    These two means should surely be enough to restore the thing to factory settings? However:
    - The memory stick should be bootable, but isn't.
    - Booting from CD works, but the Recovery Manager can't seem to access the diskimage on the usb-stick. (Although, when I call up a command prompt, one of the other options, it is readily available.)
    So I don't really know what to do now. I'm thinking of two options:
    1. In one forum thread it was said that the stick thus made 'often' or even 'usually' isn't bootable, as it should be. The advice was to make it bootable, using EasyBCD. That's easier said then done, I found; no luck so far. Can anybody help me with some more specific advice on how to do this? (The stick does contain a boot directory, bootmgr etc.; it clearly is supposed to be bootable.)
    2. Following the advice in other threads, I downloaded the whole 1.7Gb WAIK, just to get hold of imagex.exe, which i then put on the memory stick. As the bootable 'recovery CD' does provide a command prompt, I could, supposedly, 'apply' the image base.wim, which is also on the stick, to 'drive D:' (under these circumstances, that's the main partition). But as there's lots of other stuff on the stick (like FactoryUpdates), I'm afraid it will be a lot of hassle installing computer-specific drivers and stuff.
    Can anyone give me a tip on how to proceed?
    Mabel

2. nikomaster

nikomaster

It seems you need to do a fresh install. All brand new.

3. christadwani

christadwani

i think you should go with the second option
    and by the way: changing the OS will not speed up your PC
    will maybe but not enough to satisfy you

4. nikomaster

nikomaster

Downgrading the OS for sure makes any computer faster. The thing is that many new computers does not support old OS like XP.

5. christadwani

christadwani

not in this case

6. Lance1

Lance1

If its a hp netbook it should have a recovery partition on the hard drive. To start the recovery, you should restart the system and start topping the F10 key repeatedly. Then go to advanced setting and do a destructive recovery. This should bring the system back to factory defaults.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087685

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice