Reinstalling windows without a cd after laptop switched off half way through reinstal

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Tiggers86

I have a number of problems with my laptop and so decided to reinstall windows XP. My laptop did not come with windows and so i found the file to reinstall it (winnt32) in the I386 file. Unfortunatly, half way through reinstalling windows, my laptop over heated and switched itself off (a problem i have now fixed by cleaning the fan). Although i can still use my laptop, every time i start my laptop it trys to reinstall windows but cant find any of the files to do it, and instead says press escape to skip that file, but does this with every file. I still need to reinstall windows but have no idea how to as when i try to use the winnt32 setup, it does nothing, please help

You can't install Windows from the i386 folder. Those are old backup files from before the last service pack update. You need to use installation media or the recovery partition.

What make and model?

Can you paste the boot.ini file contents here?

Tiggers86

My laptop is a hp dv1000, dont know a huge amount about computer unfortunatly

it didn't come with an XP CD? did it come with a windows product-key at all? they look like this:

On the bottom of your laptop?

-washer

aka Brett

Banned
Do your reinstall again now that pc is fixed...you can either fight for an hour to try to fix it or use that hour to do it again and know it will be right.

do you have a HP DV1000 Recovery disc or recovery Partition?? if not,i recommend re-ordering from HP a recovery disc to restore your laptop (HP dv1000). That way it will have all of your drivers ready to go. If not you could obtain a copy of windows from your friend that is the same distro (home, pro etc..) and install it, then use your key, then goto the HP site and download the drivers needed for your driver.
Before that I recommend you goto their site and get your network drivers and save them to a flash drive or burn them to a CD, so after the new Install you can pop the network drivers on and goto their site to download the rest :)

If you do not have a friend that has it, you can always download a copy of windows and use your licence key. I am not sure how legal that is though.

And if that all fails, pop on a copy of Ubuntu Linux. Works great on the hp dv1000! (http://www.ubuntu.com/) :)

-washer

Do your reinstall again now that pc is fixed...you can either fight for an hour to try to fix it or use that hour to do it again and know it will be right.
Reinstall with what? He has no CD's.

Oh and my laptop is a hp dv1000
You probably still have the recovery partition. Try F10 or F11 on boot to see if recovery begins. Did you see another partition in Disk Management or have another drive in Explorer besides your main drive and the CD-ROM's?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online