1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reinstalling Windows XP Home

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by irainbow, Sep 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. irainbow

irainbow Thread Starter

I am having so many problems I'm going to reinstall XP Home.

But, I don't know how!!

I'm not a techie... just someone with good common sense and the original program and SP2 on a disk. When someone else installed this for me, there was an administrator and a [my name] file.

Do I just put the disk in and push the button? Anything to watch out for??

Thanks.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    can you provide details of the problems.

If its a windows XP disc then it should boot and give you options to repair or instal.

If its a recovery disk - it will take the PC back to how you bought it.

you may need to go into bios and change the boot order to boot from CD 1st

3. Old Rich

Old Rich

Most problems can be fixed, however you may well end up spending more time troubleshooting than performing a clean install . .

If you want to do the clean install, prior to installing, enter BIOS ( Setup ) and make sure the CD/ROM the first boot device. Put your XP Disc in the drive and disconnect all external peripherals except the keyboard and mouse, and be sure those are not USB.

Once you set your BIOS to boot first from cd . . when it restarts you will see a black screen with a prompt "Press any key to boot from cd" . . do that and you will be able to delete partitions and recreate the ones you want and proceed to formating and installing XP.

That message can pass quickly, so have a finger on the keyboard when you boot. This will delete all data on the drive so be sure you have your important data backed up.

This is a good guide to reinstalling XP . . you might want to print it for reference during the install.

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp

as is this: http://www.doverproductions.com

You will have to reload drivers and applications, After the installation, you will need to download and install the MicroSoft Critical Updates. Alternately, this would be a good time to install SP-2, while windows is clean. Prior to connecting to the internet be sure you enable the XP firewall.

If you want to save your files and settings, you can use the XP Files and Settings Transfer (FAST) wizard to create an image of them and save to cd or other removable media. This is a good guide to using the FAST wizard

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_fstw.asp

Good Luck and have fun . . wrs

4. irainbow

irainbow Thread Starter

Kinds of problems? They all started last week when I downloaded an updated driver for an older, inexpensive digital camera. It wouldn't install properly. The last of 3-4 times I uninstalled and then tried to reinstalled -- Whoa Nellie! My system would only boot and get to the "Welcome" screen and then automatically reboot .... over and over and over. So with some phone advice I got it started in Safe Mode and UNINSTALLED (at least I thought I did) the camera in digital and video. (it's still on my Start-up panel under Programs, but not in ADD/REMOVE)

Anyway ... the problems?

1) my address book problem (see elsewhere) nitpick is just the tiniest.
    2) System Restore will not restore to anything.
    3) I cannot uninstall or install my PC Fax software ... it's missing a driver.
    4) I just tried to install the Windows FAX option and it lost Internet Explorer AND Outlook Express icons.
    5) Just reinstalled (?) IE and still cannot locate Outlook Express anywhere ... but it's still on the hard drive ... I just have to crank up the ISP start screen and click on a button there to get it going...

6) ???
    7) ???

5. Old Rich

Old Rich

Sounds like you are on the right track with the clean install . .

wrs

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Rather than going down a path that will certainly require you to install all your applications and configurations again, I would first try a repair. If it doesn't work, nothing lost. But you have everything to gain.

There are two methods:

Start WindowsXP
    Go to the location of your source files
    Run WINNT32 /unattend

or

Make sure you have your valid WindowsXP key
    Insert and boot from your WindowsXP CD
    At the second R=Repair option, press the R key
    This will start the repair
    Eventually you will be prompted for your XP key

Have had this fix many drastic problems and it sure saved a lot of time.

7. irainbow

irainbow Thread Starter

Thank you etaf.

And thank <<you>> WRS -- I appreciate you taking your time to write all that. I am printing out all the articles. But before I heard from you, I made an emergency call to a friend who is insistent I shouldn't jump into the reinstall... He'll come over and help me. (I am downright dangerous with a CD in my hands! -- as in, the reason I can no longer find the OE icon, my friend tells me, is because when I installed the XP Fax capability, I chose to UNinstall the MSMSGR because it bores me to turn off the icon daily, and I didn't know it was essential to other functions!!!) ;) There's no telling what will happen next time I un/install anything.

And I thought XP was going to improve my life.... So far, it's almost as bad as Me was!

Happy day!

8. irainbow

irainbow Thread Starter

Wow -- thank you, also, Bob .... I don't know for sure what you mean by "Go to the location of my source files" (as in: CD-Rom??, or Local Drive C:???

(See I also somehow have wound up with FOUR user files....
    First there was me and the "Administrator", now there are two other unnamed users... )

I HATE a cluttered hard drive -- and I'm having a hard enough time adjusting to XP... in some ways, I'm extremely good with computers, and in other ways -- the simplest of things defy my ability to master understanding them. You'd never know I was as bright as I'm told I am..

irainbow -- dimbulb signing off for now!

Have a smile on me!

9. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

The location of the source files would vary depending on where they are located.

If you have an XP CD, then they would be on the i386 directory on that CD.

If they were copied to the hard drive in a similar directory then that would be the place.

In general, I like to try the least destructive or intrusive method first. Then work my way up from there. The last thing I would try is a complete reinstall. That would kind be like getting a new car just because you needed an oil change. It will work but might not be the best thing to do first.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/273563

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice